How to precipitate Al(OH)3 from potassium aluminate in KOH?

• Thread starter Antwerp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    koh
In summary, the conversation is about methods for precipitating aluminium hydroxide from potassium aluminate dissolved in potassium hydroxide. The speakers discuss the use of seeding agents and alternative methods, with one mentioning the possibility of using an acid to precipitate the aluminium. The overall goal is to obtain solid aluminium in some form.
Antwerp
How to precipitate aluminium hydroxide Al(OH)3 from potassium aluminate K2Al2O4 which is dissolved in potassium hydroxide KOH? Are there any seeding agents which could be used? What will be the resulting compound(s) (ions) of the reaction(s)? Alternatively other methods how to make aluminium precipitate?

Any information on this topic appreciated.

Many thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hint: aluminum is amphoteric.

so adding an acid to the solution?

and what about other ways (without changing pH)? it doesn't necessarily need to be Al(OH)3 precipitated, could be in other form, the important thing is to get aluminium in the form of solid...

thanks!

1. How do I precipitate Al(OH)3 from potassium aluminate in KOH?

To precipitate Al(OH)3 from potassium aluminate in KOH, you will need to add a strong acid, such as hydrochloric acid, to the solution until the pH reaches around 5. This will cause the Al(OH)3 to precipitate out of the solution.

2. What is the purpose of using KOH in this process?

KOH is used as a base in this process to neutralize any acid that may be present in the solution. This ensures that the pH of the solution remains in the optimal range for the precipitation of Al(OH)3.

3. Can I use other bases instead of KOH?

Yes, you can use other strong bases such as sodium hydroxide or ammonium hydroxide. However, the amount used may vary and may affect the final pH of the solution.

4. How do I know when the Al(OH)3 has fully precipitated?

You can test for the presence of Al(OH)3 by adding a few drops of a strong acid to the solution. If the solution turns cloudy or the pH decreases, then the Al(OH)3 has fully precipitated.

5. What should I do with the precipitate after it has formed?

The precipitate can be separated from the solution by filtration. It can then be washed with water to remove any impurities and dried for further use or analysis.