1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Albedo equations giving different results

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    1. This question isn't so much a homework question per se, however I am having difficulty using certain equations to find the albedo of the Earth. In attempting to find the albedo, I am using two equations, shown below, however each equation gives a different answer. I am given the following variables:

- Power absorbed at the surface of the Earth is 240 W/m^2
    - Solar Constant(S) is 1.37 kW/m^2
    - Earth is assumed to be a perfect blackbody, thus emissivity is 1
    - Temperature(T) on the Earth is assumed to be 255 kelvin
    σ is Stefan Boltzmann constant, 5.67 x 10^-8
    ε is emissivity of the Earth
    α is albedo

2. Relevant equations

T = [tex]\sqrt[4]{\frac{S(1-\alpha)}{4\epsilon\sigma}}[/tex] <-- this is a given equation found by combining the Stefan Boltzmann law with an equation for incoming power.

albedo = total scattered power/total incident power <--this is from a provided data booklet

3. The attempt at a solution

The actual work isn't too hard, when the 1st equation is moved around to find the albedo, it reads:

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = -[tex]\frac{T^{4}4\sigma}{S}[/tex] + 1

This equation, when solved, gives the answer [tex]\alpha[/tex]=0.3, this is the correct response according to the book

When I use the second equation, I take the solar constant S as the total incident power. In order to find the total scattered power, I'm subtracting the amount absorbed (given as 240W/[tex]m^{2}[/tex]) from the solar constant because the difference isn't absorbed by the earth, meaning it is reflected into space or scattered. However I get this:

[[tex]\frac{1.37*10^{3} - 240}{1.37*10^{3}}[/tex] = 0.82

This value is incorrect and I'm not sure why, given a presumed correct equation, I'm getting a wrong answer. Am I misusing the equation somehow?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted