Albert Einstein's Riddle

• Thread starter Servo888
  • Start date
its all worthless without the concept of the 16th, the start and the end... (hence)what started it all, for each of the 15 people to get them to the end spot of where they live and what they own... 1-----6 so then you ask what things would effect them along the way from there start point to there end point within any give point of perceptable time...
well...
..34.=7
.2..5.=7
1....6.=7 the founding concept of start and a end, can be applied to allthings to find how they were made and how they must have not been made, what can and cant be done within the middle because it wouldnt create the end, because the actions and reactions wouldnt macth the end from the start, applied with the things that must have effected the person -.-, this is what the riddle create's, just a reaction from everyone, aka information tool for helping humanity, another one would be the concept of alien's, which has inspired alot of new tech's that were deamed impossable -.-

i dont like to be tricked, but when i do i got to give some cred to those that do it, and to those that point it out...

you can only break in down to which person has the highest % of chance of owning the fish....meany people say the german i hear... all 15 cant have 100% chance of owning the fish..because of the means of finding which one must own the fish...
BUT.. the question has the highest % Who own's the fish there is a 100% chance that who owns the fish, therefore the hints are just there to throw you off, check out my brain teaser that i posted, it works dang near the same way....

Sorry for the multi-post's on this subject, but i was holding out a bit :/

a logic riddle...
1.Someone who own's a fish----100%
2.Somebody who own's a fish----100%
3.No one who own's a fish----100%
4 No body who own's a fish----100%

these are the start's, each has a ending to them
they each have a 100% chance, but each in a difrent way, it lays on the concept that you couldnt never know for 100% that the german has the fish or any other person dose.... you can only say with the information given that is true... and that is

--=(The person who own's the fish has 100% chance of owning the fish)=--
^.^ so who owns the fish? speculation, and lack of infomation will only lead to one logical truth that was given, and thats not the information about the houses or the color or there drink's or pets....thats just a missleading random bs...

the question makes all other hint's pointless, since the point of the question is to see which people over think things and which people think them through, in the perception of the person creating it -.- also this is the first time looking at this riddle...but ive used the same based thoughts for a long time off nature's workings :/
--=(The person who own's the fish has 100% chance of owning the fish)=--
therefore you dont need to know which person because you know the person owns a fish :)... yea Mr. Albert seem's to be a tricky 1 to analize perception of one's action's and intention's :/ truly a great riddle that still wont be solved because of lack of information :)

You are just a great like man NOONE great deductions!!

A chart seems like the most useful tool to help solve this riddle: Five columns for the five houses, and five rows for nationality, house color, type of drink, type of cigar, and finally, pets. Clue #8 states the man in the middle house drinks milk, so we can start by filling in that one of the 25 boxes created.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
Nation
Color
Drink Milk
Cigar
Pet

Then we deduce as much as possible from each clue. The Norwegian living in the first house (# 9) could mean the first on the left or the right, since it isn't specified. I assume the left (first on chart) for now. Often, with riddles or puzzles, it is faster to make an assumption and if it doesn't work out go back and try the other way, rather than trying to hold open both possibilities while analyzing the other clues.

Clue# 14 says the Norwegian lives next to the blue house, so we can fill in the house color in the second column.

Clue # 4 tells us that the green house has to be in the 3rd or 4th column, since the white house is to the right of it, and that now only works in one of these two positions. However, since clue # 5 says that the owner of the green house drinks coffee, and the milk is the drink of the third house, that means the 4th house is green, the fifth white, and of course, coffee is drunk in the 4th. We can fill in 3 more boxes.

Clue #1 says the British man is in the red house, and the third house is the only one that has neither color nor nationality specified yet, so we can fill in those two boxes. This also gives us the color of the first house, since only yellow is left. Yellow smokes Dunhill (#7), so we get that too.

Horses are next to the Dunhill smoker (#11). The "Blends" smoker lives has a water-drinker to either side (#15), which,looking at the chart now, means in the 1st or 2nd house. Since he also lives next to cats (#10), and horses are in the 2nd house, he has to be in the 2nd, and cats have to be in the 1st, along with a water drinker. The first column is now complete.

The blue master smoker drinks beer (#12), so since two drink boxes are open, but the 2nd house has a Blends smoker, the 5th house has to have the blue master smoking beer drinker.

The Danish man drinks tea (#3), which puts him and his tea in the only house without a drink box filled in; the 2nd.

The German smokes Prince (#13), and only the 4th house has columns open for nationality and cigar type, so we can fill those in. That also leaves only the Swedish man to inhabit the 5th house, and we know that the Swede owns dogs (#2). This is how the chart now looks:

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
Nation Norwegian Danish British German Swedish
Color Yellow Blue Red Green White
Drink Water Tea Milk Coffee Beer
Cigar Dunhill Blends Prince Blue Master
Pet Cats Horses Dogs

Now, since clue # 6 says the person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds, and the 3rd house is the only place left for Pall Malls, it must also be for the birds. That, of course, leaves only one box unfilled, that of the pet in the 4th house. Thus, the coffee-drinking, Prince Cigar-smoking German in the green house owns the fish in Einstein's riddle.

nabki
OK, since it was written in the late 19th century lets look at the facts available:
marine and brackish water fish were not kept in tanks until the 1960s, so that leaves us freshwater fish.
there are 2 types of freshwater fish: coldwater (goldfish and dojo loaches) and tropicals. at the time the only tropical varieties available were gouramies, which breathe air at all times and are very sensitive to smoke, since all the men we have smoke then that only leaves us with coldwater fish.
dojo loaches, used by many travelers to predict the weather were out of fashion at the time for said use, so they would not be imported. dojo loaches are native to southeast Asia. make that point (1).
goldfish at the time were only kept in parts of Asia, and specific places in the west. the places in the west are :the UK, US and france. please correct me if i am wrong.
since there isint a Frenchman, that means the Brit keeps the goldfish. now the dojo loach needs to be removed somehow...
just adding a new perspective to the argument...

woo hoo
i cant solve it
The Majority Rules!!

nabki
done some research and i found out that the german army used dojo loaches in jars to predict the weather... they also had access to south east asia which puts them back in.(?)

The 2% will get it is a false fact - it sort of has to be. Take 100 people who randomly pick an answer, and 20% of them will get it right!

I'm sorry, but I have to say I dissagree with the people who say "The German". I believe it is the British. Let me tell you the part where I went a different way:

The green house is on the left of the white house

That is implying that the green house is on the left of the white house. Drawing this on paper, you instantly assume it is from your perspective, but what if it's not? Say you are standing in front of the middle house, looking out of the sheet of paper. Suddenly, left becomes right and right becomes left. Doesn't it seem more logical that it is from the house's perspective not yours?

So, that's why I believe it should be the British person and not the German.

I simply think that the person who wrote this, Einstein or not, expected that it would be worked out with the clues that are there. Without people making extra assumptions referring to things that were not mentioned in the clues. Eg. Even though everyone drinks water; in this riddle only one person does. It is a riddle of theory.

However the assumption made that only 2% of the population will be able to work this out, can not be proved to be true!!

If you notice all of the people listed own multiple animals.
One owns horses, one owns dogs, one owns cats, and one owns birds.
So why should we assume at all that someone owns a single fish.
Just another bit of food for thought.

You people are all out of your minds. Why can't you see the obvious? the truth is if you stop 100 people and hand them this puzzle about 98 of them will not be able to solve it. I have absolutely no problem believing that. The people here are not the same as an average person. The act of coming to a webpage like this is proof of an above average intelligence, so just because you can solve it (and I don't think 100% of the people who have posted in this thread can) doesn't mean the average person can. Sure more than 2% could get a correct answer by guessing, but guessing isn't solving. The "average" person has a below-average intelligence.

If you assume the fish is the 5th pet, it's solvable, otherwise, it's not.

Yes, but its obvious your assuming the missing pet is a fish ^.^ I will attempt to solve it in chemistry :)

I think that some information may be irrelevant in how it is given.

i have however come up with this
Norwegian owns the Fish (i think im going to keep working on it)

Last edited:
... The "average" person has a below-average intelligence.

?!?!?!

This is incredible...

?!?!?!

This is incredible...

Well, depending on whether you mean the "average" via the mean, median, or mode, it might be totally accurate :)

DaveE

the answer to the riddle is the German owns the fish. My algebra 2 class did this riddle as an alternate project and solved it in class.

The fish are free in the seas.

It's true, and I still think making the assumption that one of those people own a fish without being given any facts regarding that the fish is even one of their pets is wrong.

Einstein was not only a physics man, but also a great philosopher.

Einstein was not only a physics man, but also a great philosopher.

Ok? What's your point... lol?

So I've run into Einstein's Riddle...

Your (Einstein's) riddle is errant, and here's why:

The Center house drinks milk, yet all four of the other color houses are accounted for, so the center house must be Blue, yet the Norwegian (First house) lives next to the Blue house...

Can't have the first and middle house of five living next to one another!

Einstein - such a joker...

Did anyone else get this?

Your (Einstein's) riddle is errant, and here's why:

The Center house drinks milk, yet all four of the other color houses are accounted for, so the center house must be Blue, yet the Norwegian (First house) lives next to the Blue house...

Can't have the first and middle house of five living next to one another!

Einstein - such a joker...

Did anyone else get this?

I believe you are mistaken.

The Norwegian living in the first house (# 9) could mean the first on the left or the right, since it isn't specified. I assume the left (first on chart) for now. Often, with riddles or puzzles, it is faster to make an assumption and if it doesn't work out go back and try the other way, rather than trying to hold open both possibilities while analyzing the other clues.

Clue# 14 says the Norwegian lives next to the blue house, so we can fill in the house color in the second column.

That was my deduction some time ago. The chart looks like this

------------|1st|-------|2nd|---------|3rd|--------|4th|---------|5th|----
Nation--| Norwegian--||Danish-||-----British---||German---||Swedish-------||
Color --|Yellow-------||Blue---||---Red-------||Green-----||-----White-----||
Drink --|Water--------||Tea---||---Milk-------||Coffee----||------Beer-----||
Cigar --|Dunhill-------||Blends-||---PallMalls---||--Prince--|| Blue Master----||
Pet ----|Cats---------||Horses||--Birds-------||---FISH---||------- Dogs---||

Notice the norwegian in the first yellow house, and the danish man in the second, blue house. :)

Please refer to my original post if you have any questions.