Alcubierre Drive antimatter requirements

1. Some sources say, that alcubierre warp drive would have no need for exotic matter but to create a warp bubble around a shuttle-sized spaceship would require only 100-500 kg of antimatter. Still some believe it would not function without exotic matter and some positive energy. The question is: Is it possible to use antimatter for warp fuel and for how long? It is quite pointless if you could only warp the space for a second.

2. jcsd
  3. SteamKing

SteamKing 9,603
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since we don't have 100-500 kg of antimatter in stock, the exercise seems to be academic at this point.

4. Yep, we only have a few micrograms on earth. I suppose, that no one here will solve this question, since warp drive is only hypothetical. I am still thinking for how long you can maintain the bubble?

5. Vanadium 50

Vanadium 50 18,040
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please cite them. Remember, we only discuss sources that are part of the mainstream literature.

Since antimatter gravitates the same was as matter, I doubt very much that these sources are correct.

6. George Jones

George Jones 6,419
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted