ALE (Arbitary Lagrangian Eulerian) examples

• Thread starter hoomanya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the conversation discusses ALE codes and methods for handling mesh and fluid velocity. The suggestion is made to check out the LS-DYNA website and contact LSTC for more information and published papers. The person also mentions emailing LSTC for further clarification.
hoomanya
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any examples of ALE codes in any dimension and using any method (FEM, FVM, FDM). I just need to know how the mesh velocity and the fluid velocity are dealt with.

Many Thanks,

H

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LS-DYNA (and the links to the LSTC sites on the wiki page)

If you can't find what you want to know on the LSTC sites, get in touch with them and they should point you at their published papers, etc.

Thanks. I look on their website and the ALE section but there seems to be no code and I don't think they would provide their actual code. But I e-mailed them anyway.

Thanks again! :)

1. What is ALE (Arbitrary Lagrangian Eulerian) method?

The ALE method is a numerical technique used in computational fluid dynamics to solve the Navier-Stokes equations. It combines the advantages of both the Lagrangian and Eulerian methods, allowing for the accurate simulation of fluid flow around moving objects or boundaries.

2. How does ALE method differ from the Lagrangian and Eulerian methods?

The Lagrangian method tracks the motion of individual fluid particles, while the Eulerian method considers the flow of fluid through a fixed grid. ALE method combines the two by using a moving grid that follows the motion of the fluid particles, resulting in a more accurate simulation of fluid flow around moving objects or boundaries.

3. What are some common applications of ALE method?

ALE method is commonly used in simulations of fluid-structure interactions, such as fluid flow around a moving aircraft or ship, or blood flow through a beating heart. It is also used in simulations of manufacturing processes, such as metal forming, where the material undergoes large deformations.

4. What are some challenges of using ALE method?

One of the challenges of using ALE method is the complex mathematical formulation and numerical implementation. The moving grid also adds complexity to the simulation, as it needs to be accurately tracked and updated. Additionally, the ALE method is computationally expensive, requiring high-performance computing resources.

5. How is ALE method relevant to real-world problems?

ALE method is relevant to real-world problems as it allows for accurate simulations of fluid flow around moving objects or boundaries, which is essential in many engineering and scientific applications. It also provides insights into the behavior of fluids in complex systems, helping researchers and engineers design more efficient and effective solutions to real-world problems.