Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alex Moulton Bicycle BMC Mini Memoir

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    Hello,
    I hope it is ok to tell people about my great uncle's memoir that can be bought from his website www.alexmoultonbooks.co.uk[/URL]
    Many thanks,
    Jenny
    (see below)
    In this new book, Dr. Alex Moulton recounts, in his own words, his lifetime in engineering. The whole story – from building steam cars as a teenager, and working under Roy Fedden at Bristol Aeroplane, through the development of rubber suspension systems that led to collaboration with BMC, Dunlop and Sir Alec Issigonis in the creation of Hydrolastic and Hydragas, to the revolutionary Moulton bicycle that, together with the Mini, became an icon of the swinging sixties – is told in Dr. Moulton’s characteristic direct style.
    PS It would be great if people could help me spread the word about his book. Please do tell any contacts, sites or blogs etc that you think might be interested.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd normally report this as spam but I've got a lot of respect for this chap and am putting his book on my to-read list and suggest any engineers who haven't heard of him do the same.

Hey Jenny, how about a freebie if I promise to spread the word?

4. Jun 14, 2010 #3
    Thank you for helping to spread the word. I was not sure whether I could put this on the forum but I am sure it will be of huge interest to many people. It has lots of his design notes in the back. Is this forum based in US? If so, the postage is quite expensive from the UK- so I would not be able to send you a freebie, sorry. Also we are not a big operation - just me selling his books from the site I set up for him. Just a busy working mum helping out!
    Many thanks, Jenny

5. Jun 14, 2010 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Jenny, I'm in Staffordshire so your postage excuse won't wash!

I promise I will give my review to the local Institute of Mechanical Engineers chaps! Good luck with the book sales anyway.

6. Jun 14, 2010 #5
    Ah well that is different! We have one which is a tiny bit wobbly as it got a rained on (just the cover). I would be happy to send that to you.
    Jenny

7. Jun 14, 2010 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have PM!

:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook