Algae oil extraction achieved by Labor Day goal
- Thread starter Ivan Seeking
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Oil
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
38 replies · 8K views
Biology news on Phys.org
- 15,524
- 771
[/URL]Ivan Seeking said:http://www.oilnergy.com/hpix/2obrentm.gif
Posted Sep17-07, 03:29 PM
Dang! If only I had looked at this prescient chart a year ago! How were they able to predict in September 2007 that the price of oil would fall by almost 2/3 one year later??
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
dlgoff said:Hey Ivan.
I've been wondering about your project for a while. Can you give us an update?
Regards
Crash and burn. The plan was to demonstrate at small scale, get funding, and scale up. What I learned is that many problems are scale dependent. As a result, it was going to take far more money to reach a point where I could attract investors than I could possibly afford. And the only people who had access to that sort of money were only interested in making money; whether the approach made sense or not. We were quickly heading down the path to a scam, so I ended it. At this point I am looking at several options, including teaming-up with an existing company. It may also make sense to focus on one aspect of the process. There is a guy at OSU who is working on I think the centrifuge issues, and he gives it five years to market.
As for the price of fuel, I predicted that it would drop, and I now predict that it will go up again. I think the Canadian oil sands produce about $3 a gallon fuels, and at that price biodiesel should be competitive. So the long-term still looks good. Just ask T Boone Pickens.
The problem that we have had in Oregon is that we can't get enough biodiesel to meet the 5% mandate by the State. So, when the price of fuel was high, so was the demand for biodiesel.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Another incidental: At $1.80 a gallon, "drill here drill now" won't happen. It isn't cost effective, which is the real reason why we haven't drilled here already.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
One more thing: The economy has not helped. One investor that I was very excited about is now defaulting on payments to customers. They owe one guy that I know almost a half million dollars. When I started the algae project, they were swimming in money.
I just got a phone call from the guy out the money. He is not a happy. Times are tough.
I just got a phone call from the guy out the money. He is not a happy. Times are tough.
- 15,524
- 771
It also isn't helping with the alternative fuel crowd, either. Alternative fuels were just beginning to become competitive with oil when oil was $4.00 a gallon and climbing.Ivan Seeking said:Another incidental: At $1.80 a gallon, "drill here drill now" won't happen. It isn't cost effective, which is the real reason why we haven't drilled here already.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Yes, I have always used $3 per gallon as the magic number for alternative fuels. That is also about the price at which soybean and canola derived biodiesel is competitive.
glondor
- 66
- 0
Sorry to hear about the setbacks. There will be a viable market for the fuel one day soon. Oil prices will not remain low for long. Money will flow.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Just got word that my best hope for a big-league investor filed chapter 7. My business associate is out over $370K.
Similar threads
- andyhull77
- · Replies 2 ·
- Mechanics
- Replies
- 2