Algebra - Finding the Order of an Element from the Size if It's Conjugacy Class

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Szichedelic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra Class Element
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Szichedelic
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Sorry about the long title. I recently had a few homework problems which were similar to the title of the post. I struggled a bit with them so I'm trying to find additional problems to work on until I can master these ideas...

Basically, if we have a group G s.t. |G|=n, and we know G has a conjugacy class C(x) s.t. |C(x)|=m, what can we say about the order of the element x? I know we can work with the center. i.e., since m | n, we have that n=mq for some integer q, which imples that the centralizer of x is s.t. |Z(x)|=q (by the counting formula). Moreover, since Z(x) contains the center of G, Z(G), and since |Z(x)|≠n, x is not an element of the center. Hence, Z(G) has an order of at most the largest integer smaller than q-1 which divides n.

Sorry if this is convoluted. I repeat, this isn't a homework problem (anymore) but merely something I'm trying to rectify in my head.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone can help me find examples to work on, that would be great as well.