Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra: How does [-x^2 -4x+4-1] become [(x^2+4x-4)-1]

1. Aug 31, 2013 #1
    If I want to complete the square with

[itex](-x^{2}-4x+3)[/itex] I would write

[itex](-x^{2}-4x+(...) +3 - (...)) = (-x^{2}-4x+4+3-4) = (-x^{2}-4x+4-1) = (x^{2}+4x-4) - 1[/itex]

Why does adding the parentheses to separate the -1 change all the signs. I understand it has something to do with factoring out a negative, but how exactly?

I thought adding parentheses to a series of additions and/or subtractions is simply an associative property. Signs don't need to change in associate property, so why would they change when adding parentheses to separate the -1 when completing the square for an integration problem in calculus?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"I thought adding parentheses to a series of additions and/or subtractions is simply an associative property. Signs don't need to change in associate property, so why would they change when adding parentheses to separate the -1 when completing the square for an integration problem in calculus? "

It doesn't; you are perfectly correct concerning addition/subtraction relative to the associative property.

The last expression is missing a minus sign in front of the parenthesis expression containing the completed square.

4. Aug 31, 2013 #3
    -(x^2+4x-4)+7 ?

5. Sep 1, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

There's a mistake, x^2 + 4x - 4 is not a square.

The correct way to start is:

-x^2 - 4x + 3
    -(x^2 + 4x) + 3

6. Sep 1, 2013 #5
    I'm confused as heck, but this is good practice since this is exactly what we're reviewing in math right now.

If you start with -(x^2+4x) + 3, you divide that 4 by two and square it, resulting in -(x^2+4x+4)+3.

However, you have do add that 4 to the outside, but doesn't the negative in the very front make it a negative 4, finally resulting in -(x^2+4x+4) + 7? I'm confused on where to go from here.

7. Sep 2, 2013 #6

verty

Homework Helper

You have done the hard work, you just need to write it in the neatest way possible. Remember you want to have something like (x+a)^2.

Here is a more abstract example for you to practice the steps on:

x^2 + px + q = 0

8. Sep 2, 2013 #7
    Think I got it:

-(x+2)^2 + 7? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted