1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra in potential barrier problem

1. Oct 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is a potential barrier with E of the incoming matter wave E>U (greater than the height of the barrier). I have already done a LOT of algebra to get to the point where

##\frac{F}{A}=\frac{2kk'e^{-ikL}}{2kk'cos(k'L)-i(k'^{2}+k^{2})sin(k'L)}##

which I won't bother writing out because its done and I can check that this is the correct expression.

k and k' are clearly the usually values corresponding to the time independent Schrodinger equation outside and inside of the barrier, respectively. F is the amplitude of the transmitted wave and A is the amplitude of the incident wave. L is the width of the barrier.
    2. Relevant equations
    The transmission probability *should* simplify to:

##T=\frac{4\frac{k'^{2}k^{2}}{(k^{2}-k'^{2})^{2}}}{sin^{2}k'L+4\frac{k'^{2}k^{2}}{(k^{2}-k'^{2})^{2}}}##

3. The attempt at a solution

So the transmission probability

##T=\left | \frac{F}{A} \right |^{2}=\frac{4k^{2}k'^{2}(coskL-isinkL)^{2}}{4k^{2}k'^{2}cos^{2}k'L+(k^{2}+k'^{2})^{2}sin^{2}k'L-2ikk'cosk'Lsink'L(k^{2}+k'^{2})}##

I have tried to simplify this twice - the second time I started by just multiplying the whole bottom out. I won't write out all of my work because nothing after this point lead to anything useful but if I do get somewhere I will add it. Mostly I don't understand how to get rid of the exponential in the numerator (or the trigs associated with it) and all of the i's.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The complex exponential in the numerator of the first expression disappears when you take the modulus in the second, because ##\forall x\in\mathbb{R}:\ |e^{ix}|=1##.
    In the denominator of the second expression, square and add the imaginary and real parts to get the modulus.

4. Oct 15, 2015 #3
    Thank you! I also just realized I need to re-square F/A because I did not take the complex conjugate.

5. Oct 16, 2015 #4
    So the transmission probability is actually:
    ## T=\left | \frac{F}{A} \right |^{2}=\frac{F*F}{A*A}## (where F* means the complex conjugate of F)
    so doing that I get:

##\frac{4k^{2}k'^{2}}{4k^{2}k'^{2}cos^{2}k'L+(k^{2}+k'^{2})^{2}sin^{2}k'L}##

I guess I am still struggling with the algebra here. This should look like:
    ##T=\frac{4\frac{k'^{2}k^{2}}{(k^{2}-k'^{2})^{2}}}{sin^{2}k'L+4\frac{k'^{2}k^{2}}{(k^{2}-k'^{2})^{2}}}##

What am I missing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted