Potential barrier, reflection coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of how many electrons are reflected back into a metal tube after being pushed into it with a kinetic energy of 100 eV and passing through another tube at a potential of -50V. The formula for the reflection coefficient is provided, but the exact value for the potential energy is unknown, leading to a guess of 50 eV. This value produces a reflection coefficient of approximately 0.3, which is consistent with the given answer.
Incand

Homework Statement

Electrons are pushed into a grounded metal tube A by the kinetic energy of 100 eV. After having gone through the tube it passes into another tube, B, at some distance from A. Tube B is kept at a potential of -50V. Calculate how many of the electrons are reflected back into the tube A. ( Assume the potential barrier is discontinuous)

Homework Equations

If ##E>V_0## for our barrier then we have the wave numbers
##k_1 = \sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}## for ##x<0## and
##k_2 = \sqrt{\frac{2m[E-V_0]}{\hbar^2}}##
for the wave functions
##\Psi_1 = Ae^{ik_1x}+Be^{-ik_1x}## for ##x < 0## and
##\Psi_2 = Ce^{ik_2x}## for ##x>0##.

The reflection coefficient is then
##R = \left(\frac{k_1-k_2}{k_1+k_2}\right)^2##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an electric potential difference of ##50V##, somehow I need to convert this into an potential energy but I have no idea how to do that so I don't even know if ##E>V_0## or not and the above formulas are applicable.

Assuming they are I can simply ##R## as
##R = \left( \frac{\sqrt{E}-\sqrt{E-V_0}}{\sqrt{E}-V_0} \right)^2##.
Now I don't know ##V_0## but let's guess ##V_0 = 50eV## (seeing the number 50 in the question!) then
##R=\left( \frac{\sqrt{100}-\sqrt{50}}{\sqrt{100}+\sqrt{50}} \right)^2\approx 0.3##
which agrees with the answer to the exercise but I have no idea if ##V_0 = 50eV## or why that is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Potential energy is ##qV## !

Likes Incand
BvU said:
Potential energy is ##qV## !
Thanks, I suspected that but wasn't sure!

1. What is a potential barrier?

A potential barrier is a region in a material or system where the energy of particles is higher than the surrounding areas. This creates a barrier that particles must overcome in order to pass through the region.

2. How does a potential barrier affect particles?

A potential barrier can either allow particles to pass through, or reflect them back. The behavior of particles is dependent on the height and width of the barrier, as well as the energy of the particles.

3. What is the reflection coefficient?

The reflection coefficient measures the proportion of particles that are reflected back by a potential barrier. It is calculated by dividing the intensity of the reflected particles by the intensity of the incident particles.

4. How is the reflection coefficient affected by the height and width of the potential barrier?

The reflection coefficient is directly proportional to the height and width of the potential barrier. A higher and wider barrier will result in a higher reflection coefficient, meaning more particles will be reflected back.

5. Can the reflection coefficient be greater than 1?

Yes, the reflection coefficient can be greater than 1. This indicates that more particles are being reflected back than are incident upon the barrier. This can occur when the energy of the particles is not high enough to overcome the barrier, or if the barrier is highly reflective.