1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Algebra) Quantum Theory - Cauchy-Schwartz inequality proof

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given two arbitrary vectors [itex]|\phi_{1}\rangle[/itex] and [itex]|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex] belonging to the inner product space [itex]\mathcal{H}[/itex], the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality states that:

[itex]|\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle|^{2} \leq \langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{1}\rangle \langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex].

Consider [itex]|\Psi\rangle = |\phi_{1}\rangle + \lambda|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a complex number that can be written as [itex]\lambda = a + ib[/itex].

a) Write an expression for [itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle \geq 0[/itex] as a function of [itex]\lambda[/itex] then rewrite as a function of a and b ([itex]f(a,b)[/itex]).

b) Show that the value of [itex]\lambda[/itex] that minimises [itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle[/itex] is:

[itex]\lambda_{min} = -\frac{\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{1}\rangle}{\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle}[/itex].

Hint: Compute the derivatives of [itex]f(a,b)[/itex] wrt a and b, solve these to get [itex]a_{min}[/itex] and [itex]b_{min}[/itex] and then compute [itex]\lambda_{min}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I get [itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle = \langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{1}\rangle + a(\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle + \langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{1}\rangle) + ib(\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle - \langle\phi_{2}\phi_{1}\rangle) + (a^{2} + b^{2})\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle = f(a,b)[/itex]. However I can only show:

[itex]\lambda_{min} = -\frac{\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle}{\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle}[/itex],

by combining Re and Im parts in [itex]f(a,b)[/itex] as follows (and finding the relevant derivatives etc.):

[itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle = \langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{1}\rangle + 2a\textrm{Re}(\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle) + 2b\textrm{Im}(\langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{2}\rangle) + (a^{2} + b^{2})\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex].

This is the only way I understand how to do it, however, in the solutions for this problem the collection of Re and Im parts is done as follows which I don't understand (in particular the imaginary part):

[itex]\langle\Psi|\Psi\rangle = \langle\phi_{1}|\phi_{1}\rangle + 2a\textrm{Re}(\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{1}\rangle) + 2b\textrm{Im}(\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{1}\rangle) + (a^{2} + b^{2})\langle\phi_{2}|\phi_{2}\rangle[/itex]

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2
    Anyone? Parts 1) and 2) can pretty much be ignored they just provide context for the problem.. I think ultimately it's just a complex number/conjugation question which I haven't understood properly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted