1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability of finding a particle in a region

1. Dec 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is restrained to move in 1D between two rigid walls localized in ##x=0## and ##x=a##. For ##t=0##, it’s described by:

$$\psi(x,0) = \left[\cos^{2}\left(\frac{\pi}{a}x\right)-\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{a}x\right)\right]\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{a}x\right)+B $$

, determine the probability of finding the particle between 0 and ##\frac{a}{4}##.

2. Relevant equations
    (1) ##\phi_{n}(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin(\frac{n\pi}{a}x)##
    (2) ##B=\sum_{n} C_{n}\phi_{n}(x)##

3. The attempt at a solution

Using some trigonometry and the orthonormal base (equation 1), I can write the wave function as:

$$\psi(x,0)=\sqrt{\frac{a}{32}}\phi_{1}(x)+\sqrt{\frac{a}{8}}\phi_{2}(x)+\sqrt{\frac{a}{32}}\phi_{3}(x)+B$$

I still can’t use the evolution operator. I must find an expression to ##B##, so I can put it in terms of the base.

I used the equation 2 and after finding the value of ##C_{n}##, and noticing that only odd values of n contributes to the wave function:

$$B\rightarrow -\frac{B}{\pi}\sqrt{8a}\sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2n+1}\phi_{2n+1}(x)$$

I can write the wave function like this:
    $$\psi(x,0)=\bigg( \sqrt{\frac{a}{32}}-\frac{B}{\pi}\sqrt{8a}\bigg)\phi_{1}(x) + \sqrt{\frac{a}{8}}\phi_{2}(x) + \bigg(\sqrt{\frac{a}{32}}-\frac{B}{3\pi}\sqrt{8a}\bigg)\phi_{3}(x) - \frac{B}{\pi}\sqrt{8a}\sum_{2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{2n+1}\phi_{2n+1}(x)$$

My problem is how should I continue. Am I sure this is normalized? Probably not, but how to find a constant so I can be sure it's normalized? It’s just finding the value ##B## using ##\langle\psi|\psi\rangle##? Or there is other way? Because using ##\langle\psi|\psi\rangle## I get a quadratic equation, and I’m not so sure that is this way.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What are you trying to find? Do energy eigenfunctions help you in this?

4. Dec 16, 2017 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

To clarify, do you want this probability only at time 0 or do you want it as a function of time?

5. Dec 16, 2017 #4
    You are right, it's for t>0, I will edit it. Thank you

Edit: Well, I noticed I can't edit the original post.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  6. Dec 16, 2017 #5
    I'm trying to determine the probability of finding the particle between 0 and a/4 for a t>0

7. Dec 16, 2017 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Hmmm, I'm confused. You have the following initial wave function:

When I first saw this, I thought B is a constant, maybe for normalization although it's in an odd place for a normalization constant. Then you have this:

OK, (1) are the energy eigenfunctions for the "particle in a box." But where does (2) come from? Is it saying that B isn't a constant after all, but instead, a function? A linear combination of all the energy eigenfunctions, with constant coefficients ##C_n## that are as yet undetermined?

8. Dec 16, 2017 #7

I understand, sorry I wasn't very clear. Yes, B it is a constant. But even if it is a known constant, when I make it act the evolution operator, I can't just make it evolve a constant. I only con aply the evolution operator to a state given by the base (1). So, what did I do so I can aply the evolution operator to the constant? I expanded in a fourier serie, so now it's in term of the orthonormal base, basically that's the equation (2). Now it's expanded I can aply the evolution operator, and try to determine the probability asked.
    I hope it is clear now.

Now I want to make sure it is normalized, and there is where I have my doubts of how to do it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted