Allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms

In summary, the two equations E = -\frac{hcRZ^2}{n^2} and E = -\frac{RZ^2}{n^2} describe the allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms. The second equation includes the constants h and c inside the R, while the first equation has a separate R with a dimension of 1/length. The atomic unit of energy, the hartree, is exactly two Rydbergs. This explains the different forms of the equations in different textbooks.
manenbu
I have a question which may seem stupid, but I think I missing something here.

I see 2 equations describing allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms, being:
[tex]E = -\frac{hcRZ^2}{n^2}[/tex]
And
[tex]E = -\frac{RZ^2}{n^2}[/tex]
I assume that both are correct, but what makes the difference? Is it the same R for both of them? or the second R includes the h and c inside?
How would I tell the difference?

Please enlighten me. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
manenbu said:
I have a question which may seem stupid, but I think I missing something here.

I see 2 equations describing allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms, being:
[tex]E = -\frac{hcRZ^2}{n^2}[/tex]
And
[tex]E = -\frac{RZ^2}{n^2}[/tex]
I assume that both are correct, but what makes the difference? Is it the same R for both of them? or the second R includes the h and c inside?
How would I tell the difference?

Please enlighten me. Thanks :)

They are trying to express the same relation, and you are correct that in the second version, the h and c have been "absorbed" into the R. In the first case the dimension of R is 1/length, and R comes from the Rydberg formula for the wavelength of a photon coupling two H-atom energy levels. In the second case, the dimension of R is energy, and the R stands for the Rydberg unit of energy, which is defined as the ground state energy of the H-atom in the approximation of infinite nuclear mass. The atomic unit of energy, the hartree, is exactly two Rydbergs.

Ok, thank you.
It's just that some textbooks use either one, and none explain the difference.

Now I understand!

What are allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms?

The allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms are the specific energy levels that an electron can occupy within an atom. These energy levels are determined by the quantum numbers and are unique to each atom.

How are the allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms calculated?

The allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms are calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the mass, charge, and potential energy of the electron in the atom. The solution to this equation yields the energy levels that are allowed for the electron.

What is the significance of allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms?

The allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms are significant because they determine the behavior and properties of atoms. The energy levels dictate how electrons move and interact within an atom, which ultimately affects the chemical and physical properties of that atom.

What is the relationship between the energy level and the orbit of an electron in a hydrogenic atom?

The energy level of an electron in a hydrogenic atom determines the size of its orbit. The higher the energy level, the larger the orbit of the electron will be. This is because higher energy levels correspond to higher potential energy, allowing the electron to move farther away from the nucleus.

How do the allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms relate to the spectral lines of hydrogen?

The allowed energies for electrons in hydrogenic atoms are directly related to the spectral lines of hydrogen. When an electron transitions between energy levels, it emits or absorbs energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This results in the appearance of specific spectral lines, which can be used to identify the energy levels and their corresponding energies.