Alternative form of geodesic equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to show that a specific equation holds, using the geodesic equation and the concept of contravariant and covariant vectors. The correct way to lower the index on the differentials is explained, and the application of this to the equation is discussed.
rohanlol7

Homework Statement

We are asked to show that:
## \frac{d^2x_\mu}{d\tau^2}= \frac{1}{2} \frac{dx^\nu}{d\tau} \frac{dx^{\rho}}{d\tau} \frac{\partial g_{\rho \nu}}{\partial x^{\mu}} ##
( please ignore the image in this section i cannot remove it for some reason )
ePzGn22

Homework Equations

crO0kSQ

HRn8Qoc

htyuQp6.png

VoQnGIs.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]I have tried substituting ## x_\mu = g_{a\mu} x^{a} ## in the geodesic equation, but all that i end up with is a complete mess.
Maybe I am understanding it all wrong, for instance i think that ## \frac{dx_\mu}{d\tau} = \frac{ d g_{a\mu} x^{a}}{d\tau}##, Is this correct or is the ##g_{a\mu}## supposed to go outside of the derivative ?

Attachments

• htyuQp6.png
    htyuQp6.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 753
  • VoQnGIs.png
    VoQnGIs.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot put images in your posts like that. Please upload the relevant images.

Orodruin said:
You cannot put images in your posts like that. Please upload the relevant images.
I have added the images properly now

rohanlol7 said:
I have tried substituting ## x_\mu = g_{a\mu} x^{a} ## in the geodesic equation, but all that i end up with is a complete mess.
Maybe I am understanding it all wrong, for instance i think that ## \frac{dx_\mu}{d\tau} = \frac{ d g_{a\mu} x^{a}}{d\tau}##, Is this correct or is the ##g_{a\mu}## supposed to go outside of the derivative ?
For general coordinates, ##x^{\mu}##, it is not true that ## x_\mu = g_{\mu \alpha } x^{\alpha} ##. The ##x^{\mu}## are not components of a contravariant vector. So, it doesn't make sense to lower the index using the expression ## x_\mu = g_{\mu \alpha} x^{\alpha} ##.

However, the differentials ##dx^{\mu}## are the components of a contravariant vector. So, you can lower the index on these according to ## dx_\mu = g_{\mu \alpha} dx^{\alpha} ## to make a covariant vector. Likewise, you can write ## \frac{dx_\mu}{d \tau} = g_{\mu \alpha} \frac{dx^{\alpha}}{d \tau} ##.

Apply this to ##\frac{d^2 x_{\mu}}{d \tau^2}## by writing ##\frac{d^2 x_{\mu}}{d \tau^2} = \frac{d}{d \tau} \left( \frac{dx_\mu}{d \tau} \right) ##.

Last edited:
Likes rohanlol7

1. What is an alternative form of the geodesic equation?

The alternative form of the geodesic equation is a mathematical expression used to describe the path of a particle or object moving in a curved space, such as a gravitational field. It is an alternative to the standard form of the geodesic equation, which is used in the study of general relativity.

2. How is the alternative form of the geodesic equation derived?

The alternative form of the geodesic equation is derived from the standard form by using a different set of mathematical tools and techniques. This includes the use of affine connections and the concept of parallel transport, which allows for a more intuitive understanding of the path of a particle in curved space.

3. What are the advantages of using the alternative form of the geodesic equation?

One advantage of using the alternative form of the geodesic equation is that it allows for a more geometric interpretation of the path of a particle in curved space. It also makes it easier to calculate the path of a particle in certain situations, such as when dealing with non-inertial reference frames or when there are external forces acting on the particle.

4. Are there any limitations to the alternative form of the geodesic equation?

Like any mathematical model, the alternative form of the geodesic equation has its limitations. It is based on certain assumptions and simplifications, and may not accurately describe the behavior of particles in all situations. Additionally, it may be more complex to work with in certain cases compared to the standard form.

5. How is the alternative form of the geodesic equation used in scientific research?

The alternative form of the geodesic equation is used in a variety of scientific fields, including general relativity, cosmology, and astrophysics. It is also used in the study of gravitational waves and black holes. Researchers use this equation to better understand the behavior of particles in curved space and to make predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe.