Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Alternative Medicine - Any scientific basis?

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    Dear all,

I have been searching some scientific basis about the most known -there are others less popular- complementary & alternative medicines listed below:

- Aromatherapy
    - Ayurvedic Medicine
    - Bach Flowers
    - Chiropractic
    - Chromotherapy
    - Iridiology
    - Kinesiology
    - Oligotherapy
    - Osteopathy
    - Reflexology
    - Western Phytotherapy
    - Oriental Phytotherapy
    - Chinese Medicine

I would be glad to know you scientific point-of-view from every and each of them. I have been able to find some random scientific studies in different languages claiming positive conclusions about the therapeutic´s effect. However they all end up with a repetitive sentence: "more studies are required...". However I got surprised about the low amount of scientists´s articles questioning the results of such studies.

Thanks in advance,
    Rodos

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

These range mostly from pseudoscientific nonsense to outright quackery if medical benefits are claimed. Sorry but we don't discuss such things. The two exceptions where some actual medical science is used to some extent is chiropractic and osteopathy, but even those two fields have some practitioners that deal with quackery.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook