Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternative to Von Neumann bias correction method

1. Mar 1, 2014 #1
    Hi

I have discovered that the Von Neumann bias correction method only works when the bias is 100% stable, for example tossing the same loaded coin again and again.

Does anyone know of a bias correction method which can correct an unstable bias? Is this impossible?

Edit: Lets say I have a bucket of coins, each of which is differently loaded but they are all loaded on the tails side. How can the bias be removed if the coins are each tossed one-by-one?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Are you going to label the coins and toss them in order till all are tossed and then toss them again in the same order?

4. Mar 2, 2014 #3
    Hi Stephen

Thank you for your reply.

No. The hypothetical "bucket" in my original post has an infinite number of coins.

5. Mar 2, 2014 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

To pose an interesting problem, I think you must say more about the population of coins and how they are selected. (For example, you haven't ruled out an infinite population of two-headed coins.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook