Aluminum Air Battery Improvements

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an aluminum-air battery for a lab class. The typical design includes an aluminum foil anode, a paper towel soaked in salt water as an electrolyte, and activated carbon on top for increased surface area. The speaker plans to make modifications such as adding multiple layers and using a better electrolyte, but is undecided on other changes. Some ideas include replacing the paper towel with a better barrier, adding a solvent to prevent buildup of aluminum hydroxide, and replacing the activated carbon. The main objective is to maximize electrical energy output in 3 minutes, so lifetime concerns are not a priority. The speaker is seeking advice and suggestions for improving the design.
parker.clark
I am currently designing an aluminum-air battery(e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_battery) for a lab class that I'm taking. It seems like the prototypical design for one of these batteries is to have an aluminum foil anode beneath a paper towel soaked in salt water as an electrolyte, and activated carbon on top of the paper towel that allows the oxygen cathode to interact with more surface area. I already plan on adding multiple layers to increase the output voltage and using some better electrolyte like NaOH to increase the power output, but beyond these basic changes I am undecided. Some other ideas I've had are to...
-replace the paper towel with some other barrier that is better at both conducting ions and impeding electron flow
-introduce some sort of solvent into the electrolyte in order to prevent buildup of aluminum hydroxide on the anodes, which reduces the cell's potential
-replace the activated carbon (or mix it with something) that provides a large surface area but also decreases ohmic losses and allows for greater electron transport above the electrolyte

The objective is to produce the greatest amount of electrical energy in 3 minutes(upon discharge), so lifetime concerns are not important. I'd appreciate any insight or advice that anyone might have!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Did I post this in the incorrect section? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to where I should post it, or maybe even another forum that might be more appropriate...

Thanks!

1. How does an aluminum air battery work?

An aluminum air battery works by using the reaction between aluminum and oxygen to produce electricity. When the battery is charged, aluminum reacts with water to form aluminum hydroxide and release hydrogen gas. During discharge, oxygen from the air reacts with the aluminum hydroxide to produce electricity and water.

2. What are the advantages of using aluminum air batteries?

Aluminum air batteries have several advantages over traditional batteries, including a higher energy density, lower cost, and longer shelf life. They are also more environmentally friendly, as they do not contain toxic chemicals.

3. What are the current limitations of aluminum air batteries?

One of the main limitations of aluminum air batteries is their limited cycle life, meaning they can only be charged and discharged a certain number of times before losing their efficiency. They also require a constant supply of air to function, which can be challenging in certain environments.

4. How can we improve aluminum air batteries?

There are several ways to improve aluminum air batteries, including using different materials for the anode and cathode, improving the design of the battery to increase air flow, and developing new methods to prevent corrosion of the aluminum anode. Additionally, research is being done on using additives to the electrolyte to enhance the battery's performance.

5. Are aluminum air batteries commercially available?

While aluminum air batteries have been used in some niche applications, they are not yet widely available for consumer use. However, there is ongoing research and development to improve their performance and make them more commercially viable in the future.