Am I going in the wrong direction

• Thread starter shounakbhatta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the speaker is a self-learner with a fascination for physics and has been studying on their own. They have encountered difficulties in understanding advanced concepts such as string theory and quantum field theories due to their lack of background in mathematics. They mention classical mechanics, relativity, and quantum physics as essential foundations for understanding physics, but they struggle with the level of detail in each subject. They are seeking guidance from others and have been recommended to read works by Lee Smolin, Nassim Taleb, and Karl Popper.
shounakbhatta
Hello All,

I am a self learner. Since my childhood days I was fascinated with physics, relativity, quantum physics. I started reading some popular science books and then found that without a background of mathematics it is all unrevealed romanticism. Let me tell you frankly, I am a commerce graduate and my profession is online business. I started learning on my own calculus, linear algebra, a bit of topology, complex number and formal logic.

As time passed away, Internet and other resources came. I started watching a lot of videos of MIT, Dr.Susskind and other things which are minimal mathematics and not into core mathematical procedure for explaining thoughts. I also learned GRAVITY by Hartle and still venturing into Maxwell's equation and Tensor analysis.

BUT STILL WHILE READING STRING THEORY AND QUANTUM FIELD THEORIES, ALL THOSE SIGNS LOOK GREEK TO ME.

Am I going in a wrong way? What else is required for a better understanding? I understand that there are 3 cornerstones of physics which needs to be mastered before going to the advanced level:

(1) Classical Mechanics
(2) Relativity (Sp./Gen.)
(3) Quantum physics
(4) QFT
(5) String theory

But if I take, say General relativity, it is so much detailed, that going deep and deeper, there is no time to look into other subjects.

I get lost.

Can anyone guide me?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the dilettante's dilemma. Read Lee Smolin, Nassim Taleb, Karl Popper. Your list of three cornerstones has five elements. Namaste.

1. What are the signs that I may be going in the wrong direction?

The signs that you may be going in the wrong direction can vary depending on the situation. Some common signs include feeling lost or confused, encountering obstacles or roadblocks, and receiving negative feedback or results. Other signs may include a lack of progress or growth, a feeling of dissatisfaction or unhappiness, and a misalignment with your goals or values.

2. How can I tell if I am going in the wrong direction in my career?

One way to tell if you are going in the wrong direction in your career is to assess your level of satisfaction and fulfillment in your current job or industry. If you find yourself constantly dreading work or feeling unfulfilled, it may be a sign that you are on the wrong path. Additionally, if you are not seeing any growth or advancement opportunities, or if you are receiving negative feedback from your superiors or colleagues, it may be time to reassess your career direction.

3. What steps can I take to get back on the right track?

The first step to getting back on the right track is to identify the root cause of your current direction. This may involve reflecting on your goals, values, and strengths, and determining if they align with your current path. Once you have identified the issue, you can then take action to make necessary changes. This may include setting new goals, seeking guidance or mentorship, or exploring new opportunities.

4. Is it ever too late to change direction?

No, it is never too late to change direction. While it may be more challenging to change direction later in life, it is never impossible. It is important to remember that our paths are not set in stone, and we have the power to make changes and pursue new directions at any point in our lives. It may require more effort and determination, but it is possible to find a new, fulfilling direction at any age or stage in life.

5. How can I avoid going in the wrong direction in the future?

To avoid going in the wrong direction in the future, it is important to regularly reassess your goals, values, and progress. This can help you stay on track and make necessary adjustments as needed. Additionally, seeking guidance from mentors or trusted advisors, and staying open to new opportunities and experiences can also help you stay on the right path. It is also important to continuously learn and grow, as this can help you stay adaptable and navigate potential roadblocks or challenges in the future.