Am I the only one not being able to see profile pictures?

• Bug
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, avatars are missing from mobile views, but they are visible in desktop views when screen rotation is unlocked.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Recently, all threads in PF are appearing to me in this format:

Screenshot_20171119-164113.png

I visit the site from my mobile. As far as I can recall, previously I could see the profile images as well, but now I can't see them any longer.

Is this a bug, a new view for the site, or am I the only user seeing this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171119-164113.png
    Screenshot_20171119-164113.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 921
Likes doglover9754 and ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
By pictures do you mean avatars? They have been removed in mobile skin for faster loading. Some formatting still needs to be worked.

Likes dextercioby, ISamson and jim mcnamara
Greg Bernhardt said:
By pictures do you mean avatars? They have been removed in mobile skin for faster loading. Some formatting still needs to be worked.
Yes, avatars.

I have noticed this too. Was wondering as well...

I can't get the avatars to show even if I click "Request Desktop Site" in Android Chrome. The format and some text size does change, so it's not giving me a "mobile" site, but avatars and post counts are still missing.

I'm using a tablet on WiFi only. Not seeing avatars makes threads feel oppressive and claustrophobic to read, since I have a much easier time identifying members at a glance when there is a graphical component to their identity, not just letters.

I feel this is an accessibility issue. Following the back and forth of conversations causes me pain now. In my opinion, this should be a user option, not forced on everyone.

Likes Wrichik Basu
The Bill said:
I'm using a tablet on WiFi only.
Could you find out what screen resolution your tablet is using? (pixel width x height)

Related to this, if you decide to eliminate avatars in the mobile site, could you please still include the "OP" designation for the "Original Poster" of the thread? I really find that helpful on the desktop site, especially in a long thread, and many forums do not include it. I really miss that when I view this forum on my tablet. Thanks.

Likes Wrichik Basu, The Bill and Greg Bernhardt
NTL2009 said:
I really miss that when I view this forum on my tablet.
Tablet's should be using the desktop version. What is your tablet's resolution?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Tablet's should be using the desktop version.
My iPad/Safari shows exactly the desktop version I see on my Ubuntu Linux/Firefox machine - except that the avatars and other member info isn't there on the iPad.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Could you find out what screen resolution your tablet is using? (pixel width x height)
The way I use it, it's 1536 wide by 2048 tall.

The Bill said:
The way I use it, it's 1536 wide by 2048 tall.
wow that should not trigger any mobile styles. I'll investigate.

Likes The Bill
Greg Bernhardt said:
Tablet's should be using the desktop version. What is your tablet's resolution?
768x1024, Android, Chrome browser. Cheaper, older tablet, Acer A1-810, Android 4.4.2 (but still gets the job done for me).

I see it has the option "Request Desktop site". When I do that, it looks much more like my desktop (also running Chrome there, well, Chromium), but still does not show avatars on the tablet. I cleared cache, no change. Maybe Chrome is making these decisions?

Likes Wrichik Basu
Even for me, "Request desktop site" is not showing avatars.

Wrichik Basu said:
Even for me, "Request desktop site" is not showing avatars.
What resolution?

Greg Bernhardt said:
What resolution?
1280×720

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
wow that should not trigger any mobile styles. I'll investigate.

This is still happening.

I had a thought that this might be tied to aspect ratio somehow instead of just screen pixel dimensions. As an experiment, I unlocked screen rotation on my tablet. Indeed, when I rotate into landscape orientation, avatars and post counts appear as normal in both mobile and desktop views. Rotating back to portrait hides them again.

Unfortunately, my tablet is nearly useless one-handed in landscape view, and articles and threads are easier to read in portrait view. That's why I always have portrait mode locked on in practice.

So, 1536x2048 hides avatars and post counts, 2048x1536 makes them visible, in both mobile and desktop views.

Likes mfb

1. Why can't I see profile pictures on this website?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be a problem with your internet connection, browser settings, or a technical issue on the website itself.

2. Is this a common problem among other users?

It's difficult to determine if this is a common problem without further information. It's possible that other users are also experiencing this issue, but it could also be isolated to your specific account or device.

3. Can I do anything to fix this issue?

Yes, there are a few things you can try to fix this issue. First, check your internet connection and make sure it's stable. Then, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies. If the problem persists, you may need to contact the website's technical support for further assistance.

4. Could this be a security issue?

Possibly. If you are using a public or shared computer, it's possible that the browser or network settings have been configured to block images for security reasons. If you are concerned about the security of the website, you can contact the website's support team for more information.

5. Is there a way to view profile pictures on this website without seeing other images or content?

It depends on the website and its settings. Some websites may have an option to disable images or content, but this may also affect your ability to see profile pictures. If the website does not have this option, you may need to find a different solution, such as using a different browser or device to access the website.