AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics vs FirePro V8800 for CFE/CE/QCC

• Thread starter Xittenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gpu
In summary, the conversation focuses on the comparison between the AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics card and the FirePro V8800. The individual is considering using OpenFOAM or OpenCL and their own variant of CFD/CE, and is unsure about the differences between professional and desktop drivers. They are also curious about how the drivers are tailored to specific applications or software programs. It is noted that while the HD line of cards have drivers optimized for gaming, the FirePro is designed specifically for CAD and other processor intensive tasks.
Xittenn
HD7970 vs FirePro V8800

Is there any reason why I should not go with the AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics? I mean it's a popping 970GFlops DP, which I think satisfies my needs and then some.

I will be working with OpenFOAM or OpenCL, and my own variant of CFD/CE with my own pre and post processing meshing suite. I don't know much about the drivers, because it isn't something I'm all that interested in, and so I'm not clear on what changes are made between the professional and the desktop drivers that affect performance. I assume much of this has to do with vector/scalar manipulation and optimizing the usage of the accumulators/registers.

I want to do a lot of this sort of thing!

I guess what I'm saying is, are the drivers tailored to the application, or the specific softwares themselves? Is it that the driver is tailored to CFE/CAD/CAE, or is it that the driver is tailored to Solid Works, AutoCAD, CATIA and so on . . . .

Computer science news on Phys.org
The HD line of cards have drivers built that are optimized for directX, mostly for gaming. Its still able to handle the demand of say CAD.
The firepro on the other hand is designed specifically for CAD and other processor intensive tasks and will generally perform better than the HD line even though on paper they might not appear to be as good.

What is the difference between AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics and FirePro V8800 for CFE/CE/QCC?

The main difference between these two graphics cards is their intended use. The AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics card is designed for gaming and general graphics processing, while the FirePro V8800 is specifically designed for professional applications such as computer-aided design (CAD) and video editing. This means that the FirePro V8800 has features and optimizations that make it better suited for these types of tasks.

Which graphics card is better for gaming?

The AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics card is generally considered to be better for gaming. It has a higher clock speed and more processing cores, which are important for gaming performance. However, the FirePro V8800 can still handle most modern games, so if you need a graphics card for both professional and gaming use, it may be a good option.

Can I use the FirePro V8800 for gaming?

While the FirePro V8800 is not specifically designed for gaming, it can still be used for gaming. It may not perform as well as the AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics card, but it can still handle most modern games. However, if gaming is your main priority, it is recommended to choose a graphics card specifically designed for gaming.

Which graphics card is better for professional applications?

The FirePro V8800 is specifically designed for professional applications and is generally considered to be better in this regard. It has features and optimizations that make it better suited for tasks such as CAD and video editing. However, the AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics card can also handle professional applications, so if you need a graphics card for both gaming and professional use, it may be a good option.

What factors should I consider when choosing between these two graphics cards?

When choosing between the AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics card and the FirePro V8800, you should consider your specific needs and use case. If you primarily need a graphics card for gaming, the AMD Radeon™ HD7970 Graphics card may be the better choice. If you need a graphics card for professional applications, the FirePro V8800 may be a better option. You should also consider your budget and any other specific features or requirements you may have.

Back