Can I use molar ratios across states of matter in one equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 14K views
Mozart
Messages
106
Reaction score
0
Can I use molar ratios for gasses, solids, and aqueous solutions all in one equation?

For instance: Mg(s) + 2 HCL(aq) -> MgCl2(aq) + H2(g)

Can I say that if i had 2 moles of Mg I would have 2 moles of H2. Does this trick have anything to do with Amedeo Avogadro?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, you can do that.

In the reaction you gave,
Mg(s) + 2 HCL(aq) -> MgCl2(aq) + H2(g)
You can see that there is a 1:1 ratio for every mole of Mg reacted to Hydrogen gas produced. So if two moles of Mg were to react, 2 moles of H2 would be produced.
 
Thanks man.

Does this have anything to do with Avogadro's hypothesis?
 
Last edited:
The coeffients in the reaction are meant to show the ratio of each substance being reacted/produced.
The coeffients could mean the number of moles but they could also mean the number of individual atoms/molecules too.