Americans prefer energy fix over cure for cancer

In summary, Americans are addicted to cars, and would prefer more money be invested in technology to solve the nation's energy ailments.
Poop-Loops said:
...oops...

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll be sure to remember that.

Excessive over consumption is a choice by definition.

What I am saying is that your cutoff point for "excessive over consumption" and mine are different. I see commuting to work as a necessity for many people.

Your welcome. I also FULLY agree with your second statement. I have had to drive about 20-30miles to work with each job that I have had. It truly IS a necessity, for me at least.

Physics news on Phys.org
When when I am leaving the bus with a bunch of people from school, we get in our cars and start them up, and I am always thinking "What the hell are they waiting for?" and just drive off.

:frown:

Poop-Loops said:
Excessive over consumption is a choice by definition.

Indeed it is. And is this not excessive over consumption?

http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/10/24/economist-petrol2007-001.jpg
If you say yes, then you agree that Americans do this by choice. If not, then I would love to hear at least 5 good reasons to explain why it is a necessity for Americans to consume more oil per day than 20 different countries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
A lot of people start their engine and take off, I see it all of the time. I read about how doing that was bad years ago, so I always let my engine warm up before I drive.

Good... you'll thank yourself later. I try to explain to as many people as possible just for the sake of hopefully saving someone a buck... kinda like my synthetic vs. standard motor oil rants relating to oil change intervals.

B. Elliott said:
Good... you'll thank yourself later. I try to explain to as many people as possible just for the sake of hopefully saving someone a buck... kinda like my synthetic vs. standard motor oil rants relating to oil change intervals.

Dont synthetic oils last for twice as long, ~10k miles? I always wait until the temperature gauge on my car reads in the normal operating range before I drive off in cold weather. (This is also when your car will blow hot air)

Here's something I've very glad to read. It never hit me, but I have noticed seeing a lot less police cars idling with no driver... or idling off the side of the road waiting for a speeder.

Police cars to idle no longer
Frank Gray

Over the years I’ve often wondered why police left their cars idling when they were at crime scenes, at traffic stops, and even at lunch.

And, over the years I’ve frequently brushed it off. There must be a logical reason, I figured. They want to keep the cars warmed up or maybe it’s quicker to get into a car that’s running than to fumble with keys and start it in an emergency.

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080226/LOCAL0201/802260311/0/local04

Cyrus said:
Dont synthetic oils last for twice as long, ~10k miles? I always wait until the temperature gauge on my car reads in the normal operating range before I drive off in cold weather. (This is also when your car will blow hot air)

Oh yeah, synthetics can last a long time. The real deciding factor on when to change should be the amount of contaminants that have made their way int into the oil. It takes a long time for synthetics to break down, but they still get 'dirty' per se.

Poop-Loops said:
By the way, I hate to break it to you, but I've been living in America most of my life. I see commutes every day and I already mentioned that people would be better off taking the bus or other public transportation.
In most of the US, public transportation is non-existent. I'm assuming that you've been living either in the NE corridor or some other fantasy-land in which public transport is heavily subsidized by taxes on those of us who will never benefit from its services. This isn't Europe. I can't bicycle to my town's train station and use my train pass to take a junket to NY, nor will that ever happen. Catch a clue!

Guys, if we all just turn on our cars for one hour, we can make a huge difference!

Im calling it Hummer Hour. Turn your car engine on in neutral and rev the engine to 3000rpm for an hour straight. Tell a friend, together we can make change!

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007/10/hummer-h2-safari.jpg

http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/2009-cadillac-escalade-4-thumb.jpg

crash52.jpg

Take that you stupid hybrid driving hippie communist! (Actually, he deserves it because of those god awful wheels on that honda civic. Gimme a breakkk).

turbo-1 said:
public transport is heavily subsidized by taxes on those of us who will never benefit from its services.
You needn't ride on it to benefit from it.

Evo said:
I'm not quite sure what that means gokul, is that individual driving time? Is that saying that only Italians have less individual driving time commuting back and forth to work than the US?

Having friends in the Netherlands that mostly use bicycles, I find that hard to believe.

Bikes are indeed common but problably not the most used. I estimate that the be the train. Browsing around it seems that the average commuting distance in Holland is 10 miles. Exactly the distance I had to bike on my last assignment in the headquarter. This would take about 30 minutes. By car it would useally be longer, due to the traffic jams. Train was also an option, which took including the walks and waiting, 30 minutes. So the default was the bike after I had accepted that in Holland, where ever you go, the wind is always head on.

Commuting by car in Holland is a nightmare, ensuring at least double commuting time due to the traffic jams.