An adult - become a mathematician in the UK

In summary, while one needs to know a fair amount of mathematics to be a physicist, one does NOT need to "become a mathematician" first! Those are completely different fields. Math is a young man's game.
JayJohn85
An adult -- become a mathematician in the UK

What would be the best and most effective route for an adult to become a mathematician in the UK as it is evident that you need to be one to become a physicist or be a good one at least. Well that appears to be the case from all my wikipedia reading. Are is it too late. I am 28 did anyone else come to this stuff late in their life?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math is a young man's game. By the time you are an adult [25+], it is difficult to gain deep insight - although not impossible. Visualization, especially geometric, is the key ability. Our ability for deep visualization tends to diminish after our mid 20's. There are, however, notable historical exceptions - although I suspect most of these ideas originated when they were much younger and published later in life. Prior to the 20th century, published papers by mathematician's under age 30 were quite rare. Now, they are relatively common, although still often with sponsorship by a senior mentor.

Your right their is much I can"t seem to grasp even though I am just doing GCSE I can't see how this stuff all pertains to shape and geometric constructs or whatever the hell it is. I mean from casual reading of higher stuff it just fries my head. It is rather frustrating like I tried doing something probably simple to you guys from the PEDMAS thread. And I didn't get it probably cause I broke some rules with the PEDMAS due to the exponents.

4(a+b)^3/2(a+b)^2

I went (4a+b) (4a+b) (4a+b) = 12a+12b
(2a+2b) (2a+2b)= 4a+4b

12a+12b/4a+4b= 3a+3b

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4(a+b)^3+/+2(a+b)^2

Jesus I am probably screwed come November when I got my test.

I really got to buy a load of books and get the finger out I probably won't achieve anything but the fact this stuff eludes me frustrates the hell out of me I once thought I was relatively intelligent but now I feel dumb.

I have a lot of friends who are doing their PhD in totally different areas. All of them are elder than you.

On second thought...

4(a+b)^3/2(a+b)^2

= 4a^3+ 4b^3
= 2a^2+ 2b^2

4a^3+ 4b^3/2a^2+ 2b^2= 2(a+b)? I am unsure where the 5 exponent comes out if it is divided

aaa/aa= a bbb/bb= b

Meh I certainly know how to make a mess of things lol.

While one needs to know a fair amount of mathematics to be a physicist, one does NOT need to "become a mathematician" first! Those are completely different fields.
(And neither has very much to do with basic algebra.)

HallsofIvy said:
While one needs to know a fair amount of mathematics to be a physicist, one does NOT need to "become a mathematician" first! Those are completely different fields.
(And neither has very much to do with basic algebra.)

Agree. Nevertheless, basic algebra is necessary.

JayJohn85 said:
Your right their is much I can"t seem to grasp even though I am just doing GCSE I can't see how this stuff all pertains to shape and geometric constructs or whatever the hell it is. I mean from casual reading of higher stuff it just fries my head. It is rather frustrating like I tried doing something probably simple to you guys from the PEDMAS thread. And I didn't get it probably cause I broke some rules with the PEDMAS due to the exponents.

4(a+b)^3/2(a+b)^2

I went (4a+b) (4a+b) (4a+b) = 12a+12b
(2a+2b) (2a+2b)= 4a+4b

12a+12b/4a+4b= 3a+3b

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=4(a+b)^3+/+2(a+b)^2

Jesus I am probably screwed come November when I got my test.

I really got to buy a load of books and get the finger out I probably won't achieve anything but the fact this stuff eludes me frustrates the hell out of me I once thought I was relatively intelligent but now I feel dumb.

The notation may be a little confusing
4(a+b)^3/2(a+b)^2 in Wolfram alpha reads
4*(a+b)^3 * 1/2 * (a+b)^2 = 2 * (a+b)^5

A historical example of a mathematician who got a late start is Leibnitz. I don't know any late starters personally.

People vary in their approach to intellectual topics as adults. Some prefer literature, philosophy and other fields where concepts are not defined and explored in legalistic language. Others are at home with legalism and highly technical documentation. Of those that handle legal and technical matters, some seek simplistic mechanical procedures and tend to think that any complex technical subject (e.g. bridge, chess, golf) can be mastered "if only it were explained well". To enter mathematics as an adult, I suspect the requirement is that you must already have an inclination to technical language and you must not have the expectation that mathematics can be explained as a collection of simple rules and procedures.

I am 60, I am still studying math. I mostly studying on my own except ODE. I went to a class and not only I got an "A", I was the first in the class. I studied to at least "A" level, I don't even go to the any class because only choice I have is San Jose State, the standard is too low. I strongly disagree that this is a young man's game, that you can't get deep insight when you get older. I do most of my study after I turn 50. I have ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUE understanding and analyzing theories, my problem is I forget things easily, I don't have the memory of my younger days... I studied RF/microwave, electromagnetics, Cal I, II and III, PDE all on my own. I have no issue with it. I actually communicated with professors in San Jose State, got their homework and exam and I did double of that. I STRONGLY DISAGREE THAT YOU CANNOT BE GOOD AFTER 28. TRY 60!

28 is nothing, that is still young. Of cause you need to be intelligent, make no mistake about it. But if you have that, it's all about heart, how much heart do you have? If you have the heart, and the require intelligence, you can go far. It's the heart.

Last edited:
JayJohn85 said:
On second thought...

4(a+b)^3/2(a+b)^2

= 4a^3+ 4b^3
= 2a^2+ 2b^2

4a^3+ 4b^3/2a^2+ 2b^2= 2(a+b)? I am unsure where the 5 exponent comes out if it is divided

aaa/aa= a bbb/bb= b

Meh I certainly know how to make a mess of things lol.

I can't...or not even try to read this! If you do decide to pursue education, learn LaTex here and post the equation:
[tex]\frac{4(a+b)^3}{2(a+b)^2}[/tex]

I will man but I still don't get how that which you have above doesn't equal 2a+2b. I put numbers in this and use pedmas but them guys where linking some stuff that made no sense to me whatsoever.

It was this thread under the general maths section which caused me the confusion "Why can't Scientists and People Understand PEMDAS?" I think I shall return to my studies though and not post here until I am more informed even the mentor said something that to me seems absurd.

2(2+1) ÷ 2(2+1) ?

Which to me is 1...They however argued it was 9 no matter what way I look at this I cannot find no number 9. Unless there is some semantic argument on the order of operations I don't understand. Now I hope they don't get cross I aint trying to bring up a old argument I would appreciate it greatly if he could explain to me as simple as possible how you could get the number 9

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{4(a+b)^3}{2(a+b)^2}=2(a+b)[/tex]

Am I missing something?

JayJohn85 said:
It was this thread under the general maths section which caused me the confusion "Why can't Scientists and People Understand PEMDAS?" I think I shall return to my studies though and not post here until I am more informed even the mentor said something that to me seems absurd.

2(2+1) ÷ 2(2+1) ?

Which to me is 1...They however argued it was 9 no matter what way I look at this I cannot find no number 9. Unless there is some semantic argument on the order of operations I don't understand. Now I hope they don't get cross I aint trying to bring up a old argument I would appreciate it greatly if he could explain to me as simple as possible how you could get the number 9
If I read
2(2+1) ÷ 2(2+1)
as 2*(2+1) ÷ 2*(2+1)
=2 * 3 ÷2*3
= 6÷2*3
= 3*3
= 9

aworrystudent said:
If I read
2(2+1) ÷ 2(2+1)
as 2*(2+1) ÷ 2*(2+1)
=2 * 3 ÷2*3
= 6÷2*3
= 3*3
= 9

Yes, but generally I would interpret an implied multiplication as being higher precedence than a division operator, which results in the answer being 1.

cjl said:
Yes, but generally I would interpret an implied multiplication as being higher precedence than a division operator, which results in the answer being 1.

At least, if you google 2(2+1) ÷ 2(2+1)
the result is 9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#cite_note-5
both multiplication and division belong to level 3

I got this answered by a friend but cheers for the reply your right its a simple case of GIGO in other words typing it in wrong to wolfram etc. Even the guys on the other thread typed stuff in wrong. So sorry to that mentor he was right I didnt understand their argument but now I do thanks to my friend and you guys

aworrystudent said:
At least, if you google 2(2+1) ÷ 2(2+1)
the result is 9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#cite_note-5
both multiplication and division belong to level 3

Sure, but there is definitely an element of ambiguity - how would you interpret 5x ÷ 3y for example?

(The solution is to make sufficient use of parentheses or correct formatting to remove any ambiguity)

all us older mathematicians think it is utter nonsense to claim that math is a youngster's game. at any rate it does not matter. you cannot change your age but you can change your education level.

What are the qualifications needed to become a mathematician in the UK?

In order to become a mathematician in the UK, you will typically need a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, such as physics or computer science. Many employers also prefer candidates with a master's or doctoral degree in mathematics.

What skills are necessary to become a successful mathematician?

To be a successful mathematician, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as attention to detail and the ability to think critically. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as mathematicians often work in teams on complex projects.

What job opportunities are available for mathematicians in the UK?

Mathematicians in the UK can find employment in a variety of industries, including finance, technology, research, and education. Some common job titles for mathematicians include data analyst, actuary, statistician, and operations research analyst.

What is the average salary for mathematicians in the UK?

The average salary for mathematicians in the UK can vary depending on factors such as experience, education, and industry. According to the Office for National Statistics, the average salary for mathematicians and statisticians in the UK is £40,800 per year.

What are some recommended resources for those interested in becoming a mathematician in the UK?

Some recommended resources for individuals interested in becoming a mathematician in the UK include the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, the London Mathematical Society, and the Royal Statistical Society. Additionally, attending conferences and networking with professionals in the field can be helpful in gaining insights and making connections.