Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical An aspirin a day to help prevent heart attack and stroke

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...s-revise-guidelines-on-daily-aspirin-for.html

According to one report, most experts think that a baby aspirin will do.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, I hope so, since I've been taking a baby aspirin a day for the last six months.

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From what I understand from the CNN report, what makes this different is that almost by default, everyone between certain ages should take an aspirin a day provided that other risks don't exist. This, as opposed to saying that only those at risk of heart problems or stroke should take one. Who doesn't have at least one heart risk factor?

5. Mar 16, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Funny, now days "baby aspirin" is for adult use only, due to Reyes Syndrome.

6. Mar 25, 2009 #5
    I've always loved the taste of baby aspirin. If they made candy that tasted just like it, I'd be hooked. Dang, now that I've thought about it, I'm going to have to go out and buy some baby aspirin. :biggrin:

7. Mar 27, 2009 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

My parents have been taking a baby asprin a day for quite some time - maybe even a decade.

8. Mar 27, 2009 #7

fluidistic

Gold Member

I don't want to sound bad nor anything but I recall clearly that I read (I can't say where exactly) about less than a year ago that only one third of a baby aspirin would help to prevent heart attacks but more than that wouldn't have the same effects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook