An awesome video on the double slit experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an old video that may be misleading about the concept of wave function collapse. It is noted that quantum physics is often seen as magical and mysterious, but the discovery of Quantum Decoherence has provided a better understanding of measurement. The many worlds theory is also mentioned as a possible interpretation. However, the conversation ends with the suggestion to not argue and that decoherence does not actually collapse the wave function.
Forestman

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This video is quite old
Also there is a place where it is misleading - where it says that 'just by observing the slits...' giving an impression that something magical happens.

It might be old, never the less it is no less accurate.

Something magical does happen, nobody understand the collapse of the wave function. Quantum physics itself is like magic.

1. There is no magic, when something is observed there is an interaction. In the video they show just an eye without showing how light (which is needed to 'see' an electron) affects the electron

2. Surprise! Since the discovery of Quantum Decoherence, which explained the measurement (to some extent) nobody believes any longer in the 'mysterious wavefunction collapse'. Copenhagen Interpretation is dead.

I agree, never the less it is still no less magical. Instead of consciousness causing the wave function to collapse one finds instead an infinite number of universes all superimposed over each other and out of phase. And if you don't believe in the many worlds theory decoharance still does not explain why the wave function makes an electron appear on the right instead of the left when its wave function goes though decoharance. Quantum physics and Harry Potter have a lot in common.

Decoherence does not imply MWI, you still have a choice between MWI, dBB (Bohmian mechanics) and SM (Stochastics mechanics). Decoherence is compatible with all these interpretations.

I never said that decoherence only worked with the many worlds theory. I do hope that the many worlds theory is right though. I love it.

Look...Lets not argue anymore on this matter. I like to debate, but I am not trying to make you mad. Its just a video. No reason to get in huff. Its no big deal.

Decoherence doesn't actually collapse any wave function, so no actuality occurs.

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental demonstration in quantum mechanics that shows the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles or light through two parallel slits, which creates an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. What does the double slit experiment prove?

The double slit experiment proves that particles can behave like waves and exhibit interference patterns, even though they are typically thought of as solid objects. This supports the wave-particle duality concept in quantum mechanics.

3. Who first performed the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment was first performed by English scientist Thomas Young in the early 1800s. He used light to demonstrate the interference pattern, which sparked further research and understanding of the phenomenon.

4. What are some real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has multiple real-world applications, including in the development of technologies such as electron microscopes and diffraction gratings. It has also been used to study the behavior of particles in quantum computing and to understand the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any variations of the double slit experiment?

Yes, there are several variations of the double slit experiment, including the delayed-choice quantum eraser experiment and the quantum eraser experiment with entangled photons. These variations continue to expand our understanding of quantum mechanics and its applications.