Analysis and Design of Mechanisms

Hello all, I'm an electrical engineering student searching for some advice regarding a mechanical engineering class. I have to take at least one upper level engineering class that's not electrical for my degree and I would prefer to take an ME class to fulfill that requirement. While browsing my school's course catalog, I noticed a junior level ME class on the analysis and design of mechanisms. I noticed the only ME prerequisite was statics. Lucky for me, I've taken statics already and so I can sign up for the mechanisms class. However, I find it hard to believe that the only ME knowledge you need going into a mechanisms class is statics. Isn't a lot of dynamics knowledge needed for this? And some knowledge about mechanics of materials? I know this varies by the professor teaching the course, but is a mechanisms class considered very difficult? Also, are there any good recommended online sites/PDF files that go over material I can expect from a mechanisms class?​

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Believe it or not, dynamics can be overlooked in a lot of mechanical devices. You're signing up for a class on mechanisms, so don't expect to be designing a moon rocket for your class project.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads