Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis and Design of Mechanisms

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1
    Hello all, I'm an electrical engineering student searching for some advice regarding a mechanical engineering class. I have to take at least one upper level engineering class that's not electrical for my degree and I would prefer to take an ME class to fulfill that requirement. While browsing my school's course catalog, I noticed a junior level ME class on the analysis and design of mechanisms. I noticed the only ME prerequisite was statics. Lucky for me, I've taken statics already and so I can sign up for the mechanisms class. However, I find it hard to believe that the only ME knowledge you need going into a mechanisms class is statics. Isn't a lot of dynamics knowledge needed for this? And some knowledge about mechanics of materials? I know this varies by the professor teaching the course, but is a mechanisms class considered very difficult? Also, are there any good recommended online sites/PDF files that go over material I can expect from a mechanisms class?​

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Believe it or not, dynamics can be overlooked in a lot of mechanical devices. You're signing up for a class on mechanisms, so don't expect to be designing a moon rocket for your class project.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook