1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis and how to solve things (methods)

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1

gillouche

Gold Member

Hi !

at the moment, I have big troubles to solve exercices for my analysis homework. This is not a problem with an exercise in particular, it really is about how to solve things. I just started a bachelor's degree in physics and I have no mathematical maturity. I can easily use mathematics to solve physics problem but I have no idea what I am doing with "pure mathematics" (analysis).

I fail to understand the logical steps I have to make to prove anything.

I would like to know if there was some sort of methods/guidelines/anything really, I could follow for some cases that would help me see the steps I have to make to prove something and more importantly, how to know that my result is valid. How to know that I need to do a proof by contradiction or something else ?

I asked the same question to the teaching assistant and I am waiting for an answer but I thought that I could ask other people to have maybe more help.

How to get better at abstract reasoning for unknown solutions ? For example, I understand the proofs in class, I can do them again but I am totally unable to think like that myself. I really don't understand what my objectives are when I read an exercise.

Here is an example :

If I solve the inequality I have (x-b)(x+b) <= 0 but after that, I don't know what I need to do.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, ask yourself: How do I make the product (x-b)(x+b) = 0? This is a simple question. All you need is a knowledge of arithmetic to answer it.

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3

gillouche

Gold Member

x must be equal to b or -b for the inequality to be equal to zero. But what about the inequality lower than 0? I can try to guess values of x to get a result lower than 0 like if x < b, then I get a product < 0.

So the possible values for x to to satisfy this inequality are b, -b and x < b. All those values satisfy the x2 <= b2. Is that a satisfactory answer for the first part ?

After that, how do I answer the rest of the question about a and b ?

This sounds more like a homework problem but I didn't want my post to turn like this. My main problem (I am sure I have others) is not about a specific exercises but I have no process in my head that I can follow and/or apply to analysis problems to solve them.

I am more looking for generalization like if I have an inequality ab >= 0 to prove, I should try to prove ab < 0 and if I get a result which is impossible, I would have proven by contradiction that ab can only be greater or equal than 0. This is an example to help me visualize a process which will help me solve that kind of exercises;

5. Oct 10, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to analyze these problems in steps: there are very few which can be solved by using this formula or that. This is the essence of analysis: to analyze the problem.

You want to find out what values of x make this relation, (x-b)(x+b) ≤ 0, true. You know that x = b or x = -b satisfy the equality portion. What happens if x > b? If x > -b?

Sometimes, it comes down to a process of exploring a finite number of possibilities.

6. Oct 10, 2015 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a product of two terms to be negative, one must be negative and the other must be positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook