Analysis of Tri-Pod Jack Stand with Welded Connections and Axial Load

• Thread starter gomerpyle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fbd
In summary, a jack-stand with three equally spaced legs is loaded axially with 36,000 pounds. Each leg has a horizontal cross member and all connections are welded. Using the equations ∑Fy = 0, ∑Fx = 0, and ∑M_x = 0, the vertical and horizontal reaction forces at each foot are calculated to be 12,000 and 6,000 respectively. The member DB is determined to be a zero force member and the presence of a reaction at point B between the angled leg and the cross-member is uncertain. The existence of bending moments at these points is also unclear due to the rigid and welded connections.
gomerpyle

Homework Statement

A jack-stand with three equally spaced legs (120 degrees) are connected to a center tube is loaded axially with 36,000 pounds. Each leg has a horizontal cross member 11 inches from the ground. All connections are welded. Set up FBD and find reaction forces.

Homework Equations

∑Fy = 0
∑Fx = 0
∑M_x = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I'm confused about the connections being rigid and welded. Most structures I have seen in examples are assumed to be pinned and therefore do not transmit moment/shear loads. Solving globally for

∑Fy = 0
36,000 = 3*Na = 0
Na = 12,000 (Vertical reaction at each foot contacting ground)
The horizontal reaction at each foot is the opposition of friction:
Fa = μsNa
Fa = (0.5*12000) = 6000 (I use a μs = 0.5 for concrete/steel)

Summing moments about A:
∑Ma = (15*R_dy) + (15*R_cy) - (28*R_cx) = 0
∑Fy = Na - R_dy - R_cy = 0
∑Fx = R_cx - Fa = 0

R_cx = 6000

Plugging everything in I get R_dy = 0?? So DB is a zero force member then if CB is in compression? I would think the 36,000 would transform some load to the member DB. The other thing I'm confused about is there a reaction at point B between the angled leg and the cross-member? I don't know if each of these points would have a bending moment associated with it either since they are rigid and not pinned.

Attachments

• Stand.jpg
    Stand.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 463
  • Stand2.jpg
    Stand2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 462
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
See previous thread.

1. What is FBD for tri-pod jack stand?

FBD stands for "free body diagram" and it is a diagram used by engineers and scientists to analyze the forces acting on an object. In the case of a tri-pod jack stand, the FBD shows the external forces acting on the stand, such as the weight of the object being supported and any external forces from the ground or other objects.

2. Why is FBD important for a tri-pod jack stand?

FBD is important for a tri-pod jack stand because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of the stand under different conditions. By analyzing the forces acting on the stand, we can determine if it is stable and able to support the weight of the object. This information is crucial for ensuring the safety and stability of the stand.

3. How do you create an FBD for a tri-pod jack stand?

To create an FBD for a tri-pod jack stand, you will need to identify all the external forces acting on the stand, such as the weight of the object being supported, any external forces from the ground, and any other objects in contact with the stand. Then, draw a diagram of the stand and label each force with an arrow indicating the direction and magnitude. Finally, use equations and principles of physics to analyze the forces and determine the stability of the stand.

4. Can FBD be used for any type of jack stand?

Yes, FBD can be used for any type of jack stand or other object that is subject to external forces. By creating an FBD, we can better understand the forces acting on the object and make informed decisions about its safety and stability.

5. Are there any limitations to using FBD for tri-pod jack stands?

While FBD is a valuable tool for analyzing the forces on a tri-pod jack stand, it does have some limitations. FBD assumes that the object is in equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on it are balanced. This may not always be the case in real-world situations, so it is important to also consider other factors and use caution when relying solely on FBD for determining the stability of a tri-pod jack stand.