1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytical proofs in mathematical papers

1. Jan 15, 2013 #1
    I am writing my first paper in applied mathematics.I would like to know how important is it to write a analytical proof for the numerical solutions arrived?I always thought these sort of things were left to the 'pure mathematicians' and one didn't need to bother.As a engineer,I was always used to substituting into formulae and arriving at solutions :). But,now that I write a paper for a journal,should I make it more theoretical?

This is what I am writing my paper on:

I am making a mathematical model of a ecological system.I use a system of non-linear differential equations to model the system.These equations involve parameters.On modelling these system of equations numerically in MATLAB ,I arrive at "surfaces with folds" i.e cusps,elliptic umbilics etc. Should I arrive at a mathematical-analytical proof to explain the reason for the shapes of these surfaces?Do I even need to for a applied math paper?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2013 #2
    If you wish to include such material I would suggest an appendix rather than inclusion in the main body of the text.

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3
    I hope I am not misleading with the term 'analytical proof'.I meant it in the pure math sense.The reason I have this doubt is because I am writing a mathematical biology paper and it wouldn't make sense to include MATLAB programs in the paper,rather a mathematical proof would give the reader a straight idea as to what the system is and how it would behave if varied.So,I ask again,would it make sense to include a mathematical proof(already in existence) and a few lines of the author's mathematical understanding of the subject in a 'mathematical biology' paper?
    Thanks

5. Jan 16, 2013 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Look at other papers published in the journal you are sumitting your paper to. See what type of expositions the editors of the journal have accepted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook