1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytical Solution to this? - linear system of ODES

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    Analytical Solution to this? -- linear system of ODES

Hi All,

It's been awhile since I've even attempted to solve something analytically, so before jumping back into the text. Does the following already have a common solution that I can find somewhere?

Thanks,

dx1/dt = A1 + B1x1 +C1x2 + D1x3
    dx2/dt = A2 + B2x1 +C2x2 + D2x3
    dx3/dt = A3 + B3x1 +C3x2 + D3x3

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Analytical Solution to this? -- linear system of ODES

That certainly does have an "analytical solution" since it is a system of linear we equations with constant coefficients. If you are asking for a specific formula, so yo can just plug in the values of A1, B1, etc. I doubt you will find such a thing. I would be inclined to write it as a matrix equation:
    [tex]\frac{d\left[\begin{array}{c}x1 \\ x2 \\ x3 \end{array}\right]}{dt}= \left[\begin{array}{ccc} B1 & C1 & D1 \\ B2 & C2 & D2 \\ B3 & C3 & D3\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} x1 \\ x2 \\ x3 \end{array}\right]+ \left[\begin{array}{c}A1 \\ A2 \\ A3\end{array}\right][/tex]
    and then look for the eigenvalues of the matrix. The eigenvalue equation is, of course, a cubic equation.

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    Re: Analytical Solution to this? -- linear system of ODES

I assumed since it was linear that I could get a solution to it, but like you said there is a cubic in there. That cubic is probably going to be a pain in the ...
    I was especially asking, because for whatever reason it looks like it could be a really standard problem that has been solved over and over again. Before diving in, I just wanted to test the waters.

Also, why did you quote "analytical solution"? Just curious...

Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?