Analyzing high temperatures using the M-B distribution and

• Thread starter Positron137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Distribution
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of analyzing high temperatures in physics and the possibility of finding a bound for the "absolute hottest temperature." The use of the Maxwell-Juttner speed distribution to analyze calculations and the limitations of this approach are also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the effects of pressure on the distribution and the potential for a high-school research project on this topic. However, it is advised to consult with a teacher before proceeding. Other equations and research questions related to high temperatures are also briefly mentioned.
Positron137
I am planning on writing a research paper in my high-school physics journal on analysis of high temperatures, and possibly, a bound for an "absolute hottest temperature" (depending on the type of material). I have been using the Maxwell-Juttner speed distribution to analyze a few calculations under the assumption of monatomic gases (such as Hydrogen and Helium). So for example, calculating the temperature of one mol of H2 (assuming S.T.P. conditions) with the M-B distribution, where the most-probable speed would be v = 0.99c. I've been trying to see if there is a limit. I know some conventions have been the Planck Temperature, since our theories don't work beyond that. however, I've been trying to find a better way (or I guess, abetter justification) for analyzing perhaps bounds on extremely high temperatures attainable. I do know that at really high temperatures, quantum effects take place, and things like degenerate matter are prevalent, or stuff such as quark-gluon plasma. Additionally, I was wondering - how do I consider pressure under the Maxwell distribution? Does the equation change with pressure? Could anyone provide me with some suggestions as to how to proceed with these research ideas? Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the equation change with pressure?
It is a distribution for an ideal gas, where pressure does not change the distribution.

I've been trying to see if there is a limit.
Well, if you keep heating it, you get a plasma - the atoms lose more and more electrons.
At relativistic speeds, the collisions will begin to produce new particles, so at some point you don't increase the energy per particle significantly any more, you just produce more and more particles. The energy density has no known bound - at the Planck energy density, we just don't know what will happen.

Ah ok. I understand. Maybe a good research would be to quantify exactly when the temperature is at when the energy per particle doesn't change significantly - or perhaps analyze other interesting properties (using theory alone) at that point. Do you think that could be a feasible high-school research project? Could you elaborate at the part where the collisions produce new particles? Is the energy (as heat from each collision) creating new particles (by E = mc^2), or some other phenomenon? Thanks.

I don't think a good research paper involves taking equations outside of their realm of validity, and drawing conclusions from them. Indeed, what you are talking about is not even internally consistent: STP means Standard Temperature and Pressure, and you're talking about very high temperatures. I think you should discuss this with your teacher before going further.

Likes 1 person
Ok. Thanks! By the way, are there other equations relating particle speed distributions and varying temperatures (apart from the Maxwell-Juttner, which applies to STP)? I know a lot of people have done work dealing with high temperatures from a theoretical standpoint. But, could you suggest a good research question in your opinion that I could wok on as a high-school student? Thanks.

Positron137 said:
(apart from the Maxwell-Juttner, which applies to STP)
While it can be used there, it is not limited to STP.

Temperatures beyond the validity of Maxwell-Juttner are particle physics, probably not a good high-school project if you want to calculate anything.

Ok. Thanks!

1. What is the M-B distribution and how does it relate to high temperatures?

The M-B distribution, also known as the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, is a statistical model that describes the distribution of velocities of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is often used to analyze high temperatures because it allows us to understand the behavior of particles at high energies.

2. How is the M-B distribution used to analyze high temperatures?

The M-B distribution is used to analyze high temperatures by calculating the average velocity and kinetic energy of particles in a gas. This information can then be used to determine the temperature of the gas, as well as other important thermodynamic properties such as pressure and entropy.

3. What types of systems can be analyzed using the M-B distribution?

The M-B distribution can be applied to a wide range of systems, including gases, liquids, and solids. It is particularly useful for analyzing systems at high temperatures, where classical thermodynamics fails to accurately describe the behavior of particles.

4. Are there any limitations to using the M-B distribution for high temperature analysis?

While the M-B distribution is a powerful tool for analyzing high temperatures, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that particles are non-interacting and have a negligible volume, which may not be true for all systems. Additionally, it is based on classical physics and does not account for quantum effects at extremely high temperatures.

5. How does the M-B distribution compare to other statistical models for high temperature analysis?

There are several other statistical models that can be used to analyze high temperatures, such as the Bose-Einstein distribution and the Fermi-Dirac distribution. These models take into account quantum effects and may be more accurate in certain situations. However, the M-B distribution is still widely used and is a good approximation for many systems at high temperatures.