Where to buy a metal semi-cylinder for rocking experiments

  • Topic: Misc. 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sdefresco
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metal Oscillations
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
sdefresco
Messages
29
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
I'm unsure where I might find such an object for the precision I'm looking for. Ideally, it'd come with known dimensions (density, mass, length-dimensions, etc).
I want to replicate the rocking semi-cylinder problem from analytic mechanics, but don't actually have in my possession a nice, solid cylinder to rock. I imagine my professor likely made his, or found it somewhere in Estonia. If anyone can point me to place where I might be able to find one for purchase, that would be nice.
242558
 
Attachments
  • download.png
    download.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest contacting a machine shop that does shaft work. They should have precision shaft material that can be cut to length and split. The key will be what tolerances you can work with.
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asymptotic and anorlunda