Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Anatomical features next to kidney

1. Nov 18, 2011 #1
    in the attached mri of kidney, what are the features underneath the kidneys, next to the spine? also am i right in saying that above the right kidney is the liver - what is the feature above the left kidney? is it still liver?
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2

bobze

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 2 things "under" the kidneys next to the spine are the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psoas_major_muscle" [Broken].

Yes above the right kidney is the liver, remember though that in coronal imaging like this you are looking at a mirror image. So the right kidney is actually on the left of the image.

Above the left kidney (on the right side) is the spleen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Nov 20, 2011 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

bobze is generally right, but you're not looking at a "mirror image." You're looking as if you're looking from the feet up. The end result is the same, that the right side of the body is on the left side of the image, and vice versa. Everything else he explained is correct about what you're seeing.

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4

bobze

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True, story :smile:

Saying "mirror image" helps me keep track of where I am, in my mind, lol.

6. Nov 30, 2011 #5
    great, thanks!!

7. Nov 30, 2011 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's a mirror image to me, as it would appear to be to everyone else looking at the image, IMO.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook