Android: API to control battery protection mode?

In summary, there is no public API for enabling/disabling battery protection mode on Android devices. However, if the device is rooted, there are Magisk modules that can do this. Some OEMs may also have hidden APIs for this function, but they are specific to each brand and not easily discoverable. Different brands also have different implementations of charge controllers. One potential solution could be to design an external USB-C charging device that can query and adjust the charging profile of the target device. Another option could be to use a WiFi-controlled smart mains socket to control the charging process.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
My new Lenovo tablet has a "battery protection mode". This is useful for example when you want to leave it on charge almost permanently, in which case the protection mode will charge and discharge between 40% and 60% in order to maximize battery life.

Is there an API that can enable/disable this mode?

Screenshot_2022-06-25-07-59-26-516.jpeg

Technology news on Phys.org
As far as I know, there is no public API for this. All Android APIs related to battery are read-only.

If your phone is rooted, then there are some Magisk modules that can do this. In addition, OEMs may have some hidden APIs that can do this, but that will be specific to each brand and not easily discoverable.

Different brands have different implementations of charge controller. Your device charges and discharges between 40 and 60%. Newer Samsung devices with OneUI can stop the charging at 85%, and restart it at around 83%. (My HP laptop stops charging at 80% and trickle charges thereafter.)

Likes Swamp Thing and berkeman
Swamp Thing said:
My new Lenovo tablet has a "battery protection mode". This is useful for example when you want to leave it on charge almost permanently, in which case the protection mode will charge and discharge between 40% and 60% in order to maximize battery life.

Is there an API that can enable/disable this mode?

View attachment 303294
Sounds like a new product opportunity to me. Design an external USB-C charging device that can query the charge state of the target device and adjust the charging profile delivered by that charging device. Might be a hit product -- I'd probably buy one or five... :smile:

Likes anorlunda and Wrichik Basu
berkeman said:
Sounds like a new product opportunity to me. Design an external USB-C charging device that can query the charge state of the target device and adjust the charging profile delivered by that charging device. Might be a hit product -- I'd probably buy one or five... :smile:
While searching on this topic, I found a suggestion that one can use if one is OK with an extra external device. You can use a WiFi controlled smart mains socket that can be commanded ON / OFF by an app running on your phone. Charge through that socket, and let the app do all the logic.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and berkeman

What is the purpose of the battery protection mode in Android?

The battery protection mode in Android is designed to help prolong the life of your device's battery by limiting the amount of power it uses. This can help prevent overheating and extend the overall lifespan of your battery.

How do I enable the battery protection mode on my Android device?

The battery protection mode can be enabled by going to your device's settings, selecting "Battery," and then turning on the battery saver mode. You can also access this feature by pulling down the notification panel and tapping on the battery saver icon.

What actions does the battery protection mode take to conserve power?

The battery protection mode can take several actions to conserve power, such as reducing the device's screen brightness, limiting background data usage, and restricting certain apps from running in the background. These actions can help extend your battery life and prevent your device from draining power too quickly.

Can I customize the settings for the battery protection mode?

Yes, you can customize the settings for the battery protection mode on your Android device. You can choose which apps are allowed to run in the background, adjust the battery threshold at which the mode kicks in, and even schedule when the mode should turn on automatically.

Is it safe to use the battery protection mode on my Android device?

Yes, it is safe to use the battery protection mode on your Android device. This feature is designed by Google and is meant to help prolong the life of your device's battery. However, keep in mind that using the battery protection mode may limit some functions and features of your device in order to conserve power.