Andy Griffith fans: Have you seen Andy lately?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Griffith
In summary: I miss downtown. The grimiest street in Calgary must be a nice place. Are they currently looking for any mid-upper university administrators and physics lecturers?
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
All politics aside, I saw a slightly different version of this commercial and didn't even recognize him at first. Age 84, he has really aged since I saw him last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAAwXhBhU4Q

Another one that surprised me was the last public appearance made by Bill Cosby. He too has crossed the bridge from aging, to aged. He looks very old now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It has been a long time since Griffith's What It Was Was Football skit.

Ima feelin my age.

edward said:
It has been a long time since Griffith's What It Was Was Football skit.

Ima feelin my age.

What probably gets me the most is the curse of time - the less we have left, the faster it goes.

Ivan Seeking said:
Another one that surprised me was the last public appearance made by Bill Cosby. He too has crossed the bridge from aging, to aged. He looks very old now.

My father is almost exactly the same age as Bill Cosby. I grew up will Cosby, memorizing "a Very Funny Fellow" by the age of 7 and wathing Cosby Kids on Saturday mornings (I Never watched a full episode of Cosby Show, though). So I was also taken aback when I saw him recently; both Cosby and my dad (not in the same place; though they did meet once)(am I rambling? What was the topic?).

With my dad, it took place during one month when I didn't see him for three weeks. He only lives 25 minutes away, so I see him regularly, but all of a sudden, he crossed that line. A little spooky when I recall what seems to be only a short time ago that he was...my age.

In our local parades (Christmas, "Dogwood Festival", etc.) the "Mayberry Chapter" of the "The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club" walks down the street with their vintage cop car. One of their Pics from the parade http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Qzedgs1NJpU/S...DSehI/s640/Dogwood parade crowds 4-23-10.JPG"
While Andy looks a bit different, Aunt Bee is almost a spitting image. (http://picasaweb.google.com/mcbeevee62/MayberryChapterPhotos2010#5469316629524716994" ) She's even got the walk down.

Last edited by a moderator:
physics girl phd said:
In our local parades (Christmas, "Dogwood Festival", etc.) the "Mayberry Chapter" of the "The Andy Griffith Show Rerun Watchers Club" walks down the street with their vintage cop car. One of their Pics from the parade http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Qzedgs1NJpU/S...DSehI/s640/Dogwood parade crowds 4-23-10.JPG"
While Andy looks a bit different, Aunt Bee is almost a spitting image. (http://picasaweb.google.com/mcbeevee62/MayberryChapterPhotos2010#5469316629524716994" ) She's even got the walk down.

The dude playing Otis rather looks the part as well. Dare I ask where you live? That looks like the grimiest street in downtown Calgary (4th Ave. area), but I don't recognize any of the buildings and there are a couple of hundred cars missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw him couple of days ago on commercial for senior something. He looks good.

i saw him on that commercial. i would describe him as looking "frail". at least he's not giving up, tho.

Danger said:
The dude playing Otis rather looks the part as well. Dare I ask where you live? That looks like the grimiest street in downtown Calgary (4th Ave. area), but I don't recognize any of the buildings and there are a couple of hundred cars missing.

Knoxville TN... that's the Tennessee Theater sign lurking way back there on the left. It's "Gay Street" -- the main drag so to speak, and there's usually cars, but they get ticketed/towed for the parades.

We used to live in an apartment in the building with the "for sale" sign to the left, but they kicked us out when they put the units up for sale (this was over 2 years ago, and the units still aren't selling because they priced them as $$$$ and the construction jobs they did in converting the building from a furniture store to condos is crap... some sweet revenge for our kicking out at least).

Then we just moved from the tall building across from the Tennessee. While we loved being downtown for accessibility, sidewalks, pubic transit, proximity to campus, etc., a two bedroom apartment with three kids and 2 cats just wasn't doing it anymore. We're now renting a house in the burbs.

I miss downtown. The grimiest street in Calgary must be a nice place. Are they currently looking for any mid-upper university administrators and physics lecturers?

Proton Soup said:
i saw him on that commercial. i would describe him as looking "frail". at least he's not giving up, tho.

You're right. He did look "frail" but I was trying to be nice about it. Just about everything we had from our generation is going or gone. In our home we are mostly in the mid 70's- 80's.

Last edited:
physics girl phd said:
The grimiest street in Calgary must be a nice place. Are they currently looking for any mid-upper university administrators and physics lecturers?

I can't say as to the employment situation, but Calgary is a major economic centre. Being Canuks, of course, our primary "modern" industry is communications technology. Needless to say, oil and gas are huge industrial influences—perhaps the biggest in the province. As for educator positions; sorry... no clue.

I should clarify something here, in case inadvertent offense was given. When I mentioned it looking like the grimiest street in Calgary, I was literally referring to the street, not the buildings or people. I don't even see any litter, but the road surface just looks... dirty. Maybe you have the same problem that I used to see back east, where tar would seep up through the surface because of heat.

1. Is Andy Griffith still alive?

Andy Griffith passed away on July 3, 2012 at the age of 86.

2. Where can I watch Andy Griffith shows?

Andy Griffith shows, including "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Matlock," can be streamed on services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. They may also be available to watch on certain cable channels.

3. What happened to Ron Howard, who played Opie on "The Andy Griffith Show"?

Ron Howard went on to become a successful actor, director, and producer. He has starred in numerous films and television shows, and has won multiple awards for his work behind the camera.

4. Are there any reunions or events for "The Andy Griffith Show" fans?

There have been several reunions and events for "The Andy Griffith Show" fans over the years, including a 30th anniversary gathering in 1990 and a 50th anniversary celebration in 2010. Fans can also attend Mayberry Days, an annual festival in Mount Airy, North Carolina, which served as the inspiration for the town of Mayberry in the show.

5. What is the legacy of "The Andy Griffith Show"?

"The Andy Griffith Show" is considered a classic and beloved sitcom, known for its heartwarming and humorous portrayal of small-town life. It continues to be watched and enjoyed by fans of all ages, and its influence can be seen in other popular TV shows and films. The show also launched the successful acting careers of Andy Griffith, Ron Howard, and other cast members.