Anger at the Filmmaker and Blasphemy in the Middle East

• News
  • Thread starter SixNein
  • Start date
In summary, anger at filmmakers and accusations of blasphemy in the Middle East have been ongoing issues. Many people in the region feel that Western filmmakers are disrespecting their cultural and religious beliefs, leading to protests and calls for censorship. Meanwhile, some filmmakers argue that their work is intended to spark important conversations and challenge societal norms. The tension surrounding this topic highlights the complexities of cultural differences and the power of media to incite strong emotions.
apeiron said:
These examples you give all took place within Islamic countries and your OP I thought related to the question of restrictions on free speech outside these countries. When you asked should "we" have blasphemy laws, I took that to mean the US, or at least the West.

If we are to prevent the types of speech that induce violence in the middle east by passing blasphemy laws in the west, my examples illustrate the required strictness of these laws. It also illustrates that they request an exemption from criticism or parody of their religion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Galteeth said:
I vehemently disagree with this position. So much in fact, that I feel personally offended. Therefore, you should not be allowed to make this argument where I can read it.

(Demonstrating that your argument is irrational because it is self-annihilating.)

I'm not sure you understand the argument. If just one Galteeth is offended, then tough luck. But if a world of Galteeths agrees on the social value of such a constraint, then that would be a valid basis for enforcing it.

SixNein said:
If we are to prevent the types of speech that induce violence in the middle east by passing blasphemy laws in the west, my examples illustrate the required strictness of these laws. It also illustrates that they request an exemption from criticism or parody of their religion.

Well, I said from the start that hate speech laws seem a good thing in a civil society, but blasphemy laws lack a rational basis as they appeal to moral absolutism.

apeiron said:
I'm not sure you understand the argument. If just one Galteeth is offended, then tough luck. But if a world of Galteeths agrees on the social value of such a constraint, then that would be a valid basis for enforcing it.

Isn't the real measurement here several Galteeths who are also willing to blow things up/kill people?

EDIT: Let's envision a hypothetical scenario. A large number of people on this planet find evolution as an explanation for how humans came to be inherently offensive. Under your reasoning, how could discussing evolution be permitted?

Last edited:
Galteeth said:
Isn't the real measurement here several Galteeths who are also willing to blow things up/kill people?

Not in my view.

Galteeth said:
EDIT: Let's envision a hypothetical scenario. A large number of people on this planet find evolution as an explanation for how humans came to be inherently offensive. Under your reasoning, how could discussing evolution be permitted?

Again strawman. Nothing to do with any discussion of restrictions on hate speech. And you also ignore the difference between toning down and complete prohibition.

I think an important part has been forgotten in all of the threads about this issue, namely that of Honor culture.

In most muslim countries they don't have the same trust in authorities/police to clear up offenses made against them as we in the west do. If someone insults your family, you simply have to retaliate or fall behind in social status. This is the culture they've grown up with, so when someone insults their faith, they respond with what they know work in their society (remember, all western countries were like this hundreds of years ago too).

How can we change this? It is not an easy question, and requires slow changes over the course of several generations. This is why I think it's very hard to discuss something like transferring western laws to the muslim countries, their basic infrastructure and upbringing is just too different to accept western laws at this point in time.

I am 100% against blasphemy laws, and I am also 100% against what this troll filmmaker did. These are not contradictory opinions. Just because you are opposed to something doesn't mean it should be illegal.

apeiron said:
Not in my view.

Again strawman. Nothing to do with any discussion of restrictions on hate speech. And you also ignore the difference between toning down and complete prohibition.

Where do you draw the line?

apeiron said:
How many Galteeth's are required to be offended before the offending speech can be deemed illegal?

Galteeth said:
That's the way I see it, yes: some people (not even in the US!) are willing to back-up their offended-ness with violence and as a result, our government criticizes freedom of speech here.

Last edited:
Zarqon said:
In most muslim countries they don't have the same trust in authorities/police to clear up offenses made against them as we in the west do.
What an odd thing to say: in the West, the "authorities" don't "clear up offenses". That's kinda the main point of freedom of speech!

russ_watters said:
What an odd thing to say: in the West, the "authorities" don't "clear up offenses". That's kinda the main point of freedom of speech!

How does this statement about "the West" apply to the many countries which do believe in hate laws?

russ_watters said:

Sorry, I didn't write it clearly enough. I meant that we in the west put the trust to authorities to clear up things that really should be illegal, whereas in honor cultures, you are forced to deal with many things yourself, and then it's hard to draw the line between what should really be illegal and what counts as free speech. I think it's pretty difficult for a generation of people who have all been brought up with the idea that you simply have to retaliate, or you lose social status and become a failure, to suddenly change their views and let insults slip.

Just because we believe that our ideas of free speech is a better way to go (and I do too), it doesn't mean that they are currently in the position to be able to actually adopt those ideas. I think the best course of action is more to target future generations of muslims, and just try to show them that we are the better part, that our values lead to better societies. Once the young generation believes that, we can just sit back let them handle it themselves.

This is all hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yesterday on NPR there was an interview with one of the doctors associated with the emergency trauma center they are trying to institute over there. He was talking about how, after the ambassador had been killed, many people were apologizing for what had happened. Apparently, in many cultures, an affront committed by someone requires that others within the culture take responsibility for what happened - hence the apologies. It may help to explain another reason why the protesters blamed the US and not just the filmmaker.

daveb said:
It may help to explain another reason why the protesters blamed the US and not just the filmmaker.

That may be so. But there is also this...

Protesters at the American embassy in Cairo on September 11th erroneously believed the offensive film to have been shown on “American state television”: in a place with a weak tradition of independent broadcasting, that claim is not as absurd as it might be elsewhere.

http://www.economist.com/node/21562960

So if a US citizen murdered the filmmaker, they would praise the United States and stop saying "death to America"? I doubt it.
If it's true they blame an entire country for the actions of one person, I'm sure it doesn't work the other way; praising an entire country for the actions of one person.

Here is another opinion to consider in our discussion:

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said on Wednesday the maker of an anti-Islam film that triggered violent protests across the Muslim world abused his right to freedom of expression by making the movie, which he called a "disgraceful and shameful act."

"Freedoms of expression should be and must be guaranteed and protected, when they are used for common justice, common purpose," Ban told a news conference.

"When some people use this freedom of expression to provoke or humiliate some others' values and beliefs, then this cannot be protected in such a way."

"My position is that freedom of expression, while it is a fundamental right and privilege, should not be abused by such people, by such a disgraceful and shameful act," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/un-chief-says-anti-islam-filmmaker-abused-freedom-205207133.html

Last edited by a moderator:
One more example of freedom of speech being protected here in the USA:

NEW YORK, Sept 19 | Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:28pm EDT

(Reuters) - As Muslim countries reverberate with fierce protests over a film mocking the Prophet Mohammad, an ad equating Islamic jihad with savagery is due to appear next week in 10 New York City subway stations despite transit officials' efforts to block it.

The city's Metropolitan Transportation Authority had refused the ads, citing a policy against demeaning language. The American Freedom Defense Initiative, which is behind the ad campaign, then sued and won a favorable ruling from a U.S. judge in Manhattan.

According to court documents, the ad reads: "In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man. Support Israel/Defeat Jihad."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/19/usa-muslim-ads-idUSL1E8KJH1Q20120919?type=marketsNews

I'm wondering: does anyone have any examples of American governments attempting to suppress freedom of speech in anti-Christian speech? Or even just denounced it as abuse of freedom of speech?

russ_watters said:
I'm wondering: does anyone have any examples of American governments attempting to suppress freedom of speech in anti-Christian speech? Or even just denounced it as abuse of freedom of speech?
I don't know of any anti-christian hate speech. Do you have examples? I'm sure I could find a lot of hate speeches by Christians that weren't suppressed (abortion, gay rights, etc...)

russ_watters said:

I looked for and could not easily find any "any examples of American governments attempting to suppress freedom of speech in anti-Christian speech?" that you asked about.

You have posted lots examples of vile attacks on lots of Religions.
But nothing in what you have posted contains any example of the "American government's ..."

Last edited:
Evo said:
Russ, we don't even allow those websites here. They aren't mainstream. Do you have any examples of hate speech against christians that people saw in mainstream media?
Huh?

1. All of those are examples from mainstream media, with the exception of the gay club, which is a link the the actual website. But you can find references to them in mainstream media too. It is just that some of my examples are linked from sites criticizing them instead of the original sources.

2. The the example that serves as the prototype for this thread was not produced by mainstream media, so it is an odd criteria for you to invoke here.

3. You asked if I knew of any anti-Christian hate speech. I do and I showed it.

4. We're not discussing the content of any of those links directly, just like this thread is not discussing the merits and teachings of Islam or Christianity. Neither rule applies. This would be like if you asked me for examples of crackpottery and then said it was a violation of the rules to post the examples!
And sorry, I'm Roman Catholic so I was raised believing that I wasn't associated with Protestant Christian religions. We were against protestant christians, you know, since they burned so many Catholics at the stake trying to wipe Catholics out of existence in Europe. So when you said "christian" I thought "protestant".
:confused: Sure, it is tautological that every religion thinks it is doing it right and thinks all others are doing it wrong, but the definition of "Christianity" is pretty straightforward. And I gave examples of both (including examples that can't be differentiated). Apology accepted, though -- but again...relevance? I was providing examples of double-standard/juxtaposition wrt to Islam. I could have picked any other religion as an example: Judaism? Mormonism? Buddhism? It was just easier to find more examples by casting a wider net (though Judaism in particular probably gets more than Christianity).

Last edited:
Russ when I asked for examples, I expected examples from mainstream media sources that we recognize. And yes, we even recognize fox news.

When I asked to have the rules on what constitutes "primary sources" I was told we didn't have to be more specific in the rules because everyone should know what a "primary source" is, and if not, then I should state what is acceptable.

Russ, I've never heard of the sites you linked to. They are not "primary sites".

Bobbywhy said:
But nothing in what you have posted contains any example of the "American government's ..."
Yes, I know: I was fulfilling Evo's request, not my request. I looked for examples of governments' suppression of speech against other religions and couldn't find any, which is why I asked others if they'd seen any. Point being, we know that anti-religion speech exists against multiple major religions, but I don't know if there is government suppression of it for any religion but Islam.

FYI, there is one iffy example I can think of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ

This example is not of suppression, though, because the scandal was over the fact that the government funded this defamation of Christianity as art.

russ_watters said:
Yes, I know: I was fulfilling Evo's request, not my request. I looked for examples of governments' suppression of speech against other religions and couldn't find any, which is why I asked others if they'd seen any.
And I asked if you had any examples, examples of what was in your post, why would you think anything else?

No, you asked about government suppression of anti-christian speech.

Russ said:
I'm wondering: does anyone have any examples of American governments attempting to suppress freedom of speech in anti-Christian speech?

Thread is going to go to sleep tonight. Maybe it will re-open tomorrow.