1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration of a tire...not sure how to find radius

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    Your car tire is rotating at 3.5 rev/s when suddenly you press down hard on the accelerator. After traveling 200 m, the tire’s rotation has increased to 6.0 rev/s. What was the tire’s angular acceleration? Give your answer in rad/s2.

2. Relevant equations:
    2αΔΘ=ωf2i2

3. The attempt at a solution:
    2α(uhh)=(37.7 rad/s)2-(22.0 rad/s)2
    We have 200m as a distance. With the absence of a tire's diameter, I tried (200 m)/(2πr rads) but again I don't know the radius. The book's solution manual uses ΔΘ=Δx/r and then simply states that the tire's radius is 32cm. I have no idea where this number came from.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

leave delta phi as x / r. Also, don't translate rev / second into rad /s. Instead, translate rev into 2 pi r, and you'll find the r's cancel.

4. Sep 30, 2015 #3
    I don't understand. Isn't the definition that rev=2π?

5. Oct 1, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is only one variable which involves the dimension of distance. That makes it useless. There is simply not enough information.
    Breadsticks, it looks like they forgot to tell you the radius.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted