Angular acceleration problem for a pulley used to raise an elevator

In summary: Please pay attention and try to follow his hints.Also, please quote the post to which you are responding when you post. It makes the conversation easier to follow.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the linear acceleration of an elevator and the tangential acceleration of a point on a rotating disk. The linear acceleration is found by multiplying 1/8 g (1.22625 m/s^2) by the radius (1.25 m), giving a result in units of m^3/s^2, which is incorrect. To find the tangential acceleration, the correct equation is a = rω^2, where ω is the angular velocity. Omega (ω) is not the same as the linear acceleration (a) and should
leggythegoose
Homework Statement
In a charming 19th-century hotel, an old-style elevator is connected to a counterweight by a cable that passes over a rotating disk 2.50 m in diameter. The elevator is raised and lowered by turning the disk, and the cable does not slip on the rim of the disk but turns with it. To start the elevator moving, it must be accelerated at 1/8 g. What must be the angular acceleration of the disk, in rad/s^2?
Relevant Equations
constant angular acceleration equations
I tried to multiply 1/8 g (1.22625) by the radius (1.25 m) and got 1.53 rad/s^2. This is actually the linear acceleration of the elevator. How do I get the angular acceleration of the disk? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
leggythegoose said:
I tried to multiply 1/8 g (1.22625) by the radius (1.25 m) and got 1.53 rad/s^2. This is actually the linear acceleration of the elevator.
The linear acceleration of the elevator is 1/8 g.

leggythegoose said:
How do I get the angular acceleration of the disk? Thanks!
What is the tangential acceleration of a point on the rim of the rotating disk? How is the tangential acceleration related to the angular acceleration of the disk?

Likes Lnewqban
TSny said:
The linear acceleration of the elevator is 1/8 g.What is the tangential acceleration of a point on the rim of the rotating disk? How is the tangential acceleration related to the angular acceleration of the disk?
So I know that r is 1.25 m but how would I find alpha to calculate the tangential acceleration?

leggythegoose said:
So I know that r is 1.25 m but how would I find alpha to calculate the tangential acceleration?
You don't need to know ##\alpha## in order to find the tangential acceleration of a point on the rim of the disk. Hint: "the cable does not slip on the disk"

Likes Lnewqban
TSny said:
You don't need to know ##\alpha## in order to find the tangential acceleration of a point on the rim of the disk. Hint: "the cable does not slip on the disk"
Do I multiply r and omega? So it would be 1.25x1.91 = 2.39 and 2.39 is the tangential acceleration?

leggythegoose said:
I tried to multiply 1/8 g (1.22625) by the radius (1.25 m) and got 1.53 rad/s^2
Note that if you multiply 1.22625 m/s2 by 1.25 m you get a result in units of m2/s2, not rad/s2

This is a hint that you should not be multiplying those two quantities.

Likes Lnewqban
leggythegoose said:
Do I multiply r and omega? So it would be 1.25x1.91 = 2.39 and 2.39 is the tangential acceleration?
No. Note that multiplying the units of ##\omega## by the units of ##r## does not give units for acceleration. [EDIT: A similar units problem was noted by @jbriggs444 ]

1678303338490.png

What is the magnitude of the linear acceleration of point ##a## of the cable? What is the magnitude of the linear (tangential) acceleration of point b on the rim of the disk assuming that the cable does not slip on the disk?

Last edited:
Likes jbriggs444 and Lnewqban
leggythegoose said:
The number 1.91 which you are calling "omega" -- you got that by multiplying the linear acceleration (a = 1/8 g = 1.22625 m/s2) by the radius (r = 1.25 m) and then again by the radius (r = 1.25 m).

Omega (##\omega##) is the greek letter conventionally used to denote angular velocity, usually with units of rad/s.

The calculation you used cannot possibly yield an angular velocity in rad/s. Instead, it yields a result in units of m3/s2.

Then you multiply by 1.25 m yet again, apparently in the hopes that this finally will yield an angular acceleration (in units of m4/s2).

Stop multiplying by ##r## already. You are going the wrong way!

@TSny is trying hard to lead you to a correct calculation.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and TSny

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is related to linear acceleration through the formula a = rα, where a is linear acceleration, r is the radius of the object's rotation, and α is the angular acceleration.

3. How does a pulley affect the angular acceleration of an elevator?

A pulley can change the direction of the force applied to the elevator, thus affecting the angular acceleration. The more pulleys used, the less force is needed to raise the elevator, resulting in a lower angular acceleration.

4. Can the angular acceleration of an elevator be negative?

Yes, the angular acceleration of an elevator can be negative if it is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of its initial rotation.

5. How does the mass of the elevator affect its angular acceleration?

The mass of the elevator does not directly affect its angular acceleration. However, a heavier elevator will require more force to be raised, resulting in a higher angular acceleration.