Angular Momentum of a turntable

The final KE is that of the woman and the turn table, so you can add them together to get the final KE.In summary, the problem involves a 60.0 kg woman standing on a horizontal turntable. The turntable has a moment of inertia of 500kg/m^2 and a radius of 2 meters. The woman starts walking around the rim clockwise at a constant speed of 1.5m/s relative to earth. The turntable rotates in the opposite direction at a calculated angular velocity. The work done by the woman to set herself and the turntable in motion can be calculated by finding the difference in the final and initial kinetic energies. The governing principle behind this problem is the conservation of angular momentum.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have tried this problem many times, but I can't even get it started really. Any hints are appreciated!

A 60.0 kg woman stands at the rim of a horizontal turntable having a moment of inertia of 500kg/m^2 and a radius of 2 meters. The turntable is initially at rest and is free to rotate about a frictionless, vertical axle through its center. The woman then starts walking around the rim clockwise (birdseye view) at a constant speed of 1.5m/s relative to earth.

(a) In what direction and with what speed does the turntable rotate?
(b) How much work does the woman do to set herself and the turntable into motion?

Thanks
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Question is incomplete.

The simple answer might be that she applies the same forces that she would on Earth and the disk would move in the opposite direction.

What a mind bender, I have not done the math on this but, just by looking at it, she may not overcome the inertia of the disk. If she does then the disk should turn counter-clockwise. I know this is not a complete answer. I had a much better one but turns out I did not read your question correctly. Sorry

Last edited:
Of course the governing principle behind this is the conservation of angular momentum, so since both the woman and the turn table are both at rest initially, they have a combined 0 angular momentum to start out with, so at any point in time afterward, it must stay zero.

Angular momentum, L, = the sum of all the pieces of the system,
L = I * w, where I is the rotational inertia and w (or some purists like to call it omega) is the angular velocity.

I would like to think this 60 kg woman could be treated as a point mass, and thus, you can find her rotational inertial to be, I = mass*radius^2
For the turn table, you already know the rotational inertial, 500 kg/m^2

When the woman begins to walk around the turn table, she has some angular velocity. You can calculate it by dividing the linear velocity the radius. w = v / r.
Now the woman has some, non zero, angular momentum, so the turn table must too (in the opposite direction) to cancel it out.
Calculate the angular momentum of the woman, set it equal to the angular momentum of the turn table, then you can solve for the angular velocity of the turn table.

The work done by the woman to get the turn table and herself moving is equal to the difference in the final and initial kinetic energies.
KE = 1/2*I*w^2

1. What is angular momentum and why is it important for a turntable?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is important for a turntable because it determines the speed and stability of the rotation of the turntable, which directly affects the quality of the sound produced.

2. How is angular momentum calculated for a turntable?

Angular momentum for a turntable is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of the object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate of change of the angle of rotation).

3. How does the mass of a turntable affect its angular momentum?

The mass of a turntable affects its angular momentum by changing its moment of inertia. A heavier turntable will have a larger moment of inertia, resulting in a higher angular momentum and slower rotational speed compared to a lighter turntable.

4. Can angular momentum be changed on a turntable?

Yes, angular momentum can be changed on a turntable by adjusting the speed of rotation or by changing the mass or distribution of mass on the turntable. For example, adding a heavier record to the turntable will increase its angular momentum.

5. How does friction affect the angular momentum of a turntable?

Friction can affect the angular momentum of a turntable by slowing down the rotation and reducing the stability of the turntable's movement. This can result in a decrease in sound quality and potential damage to the turntable if the friction is too high.