Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Momentum & Plank's Constant

1. Jul 25, 2009 #1

referframe

Gold Member

I found a paper online that claims that Plank's Constant exists because angular momentum (classical) is conserved. Here is the link for that paper http://www.journaloftheoretics.com/Articles/4-4/Rotor.pdf
    I'm interesting in your opinion of the paper. Much appears to be wild speculation. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That "journal" is a crackpot venue.

4. Jul 25, 2009 #3
    Apparently. Though I wouldn't apply the word crackpot to the author, who appears to honestly not know any better.

5. Jul 25, 2009 #4
    I haven't read the whole paper yet, but this part sticks out:

"In SI (Système International) units, it has dimensions of angular momentum (kg⋅m2/s). This means that the Planck’s constant h is governed by the law of conservation of angular momentum, one of the main laws of the Nature."

Isn't that like saying that because torque has dimensions equal to the units of energy, it's related to energy conservation?

The whole thing with the electron's orbit looking like a hollow, rotating torus, is also quite suspect. The electron's orbit around a nucleus isn't stable because of the availability of two rotations (whatever that means). It's stable because it exists as a de Broglie matter wave, and because the time-independent Schrodinger Equation for the Coulomb potential has standing wave solutions. But hey, maybe there's something here I'm not understanding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook