1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular separation between two wavelengths

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    1. using differentiation,find the angular separation in arc minutes in second order for two wavelengths 589.0 and 589.6 nanometers

2. d sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=m ([tex]\lambda[/tex])

3. i try to use D=[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]/[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]
    by differentating d sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=m ([tex]\lambda[/tex]) i got d/m sec(thetha).this equation can be further change to D=(sinA+sinB)/[tex]\lambda[/tex]sinB.
    i assumed D is the separation between the wavelengths.is it the correct way to approach the problem??

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, the problem is asking for the angular separation Δθ.

4. May 21, 2010 #3
    thanks.now i know how to solve it. is it Δlambda/Δθ= d/m cosθ? and by using small angle approximation,cos theta = 1.so Δθ= Δlambda*m/d? i forgot to put extra info:d=(1/600)mm

5. May 21, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you need to be a little more careful because the problem asks you to find the separation to second order, not just first order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook