Angular separation between two wavelengths

In summary, using differentiation, the angular separation in arc minutes in second order for two wavelengths 589.0 and 589.6 nanometers can be found by using the equation d sin(\theta)=m (\lambda) and differentiating it to get d/m sec(\theta). This equation can then be further simplified to D=(sinA+sinB)/\lambdasinB, where D is the separation between the wavelengths. However, this approach is not correct as the problem asks for the angular separation Δθ. Instead, the correct equation is Δlambda/Δθ= d/m cosθ and by using the small angle approximation, cosθ = 1, so Δθ= Δlambda*m/d. It
socoil23
1. using differentiation,find the angular separation in arc minutes in second order for two wavelengths 589.0 and 589.6 nanometers

2. d sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=m ([tex]\lambda[/tex])

3. i try to use D=[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]/[tex]\delta[/tex][tex]\lambda[/tex]
by differentating d sin([tex]\theta[/tex])=m ([tex]\lambda[/tex]) i got d/m sec(thetha).this equation can be further change to D=(sinA+sinB)/[tex]\lambda[/tex]sinB.
i assumed D is the separation between the wavelengths.is it the correct way to approach the problem??

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the problem is asking for the angular separation Δθ.

vela said:
No, the problem is asking for the angular separation Δθ.

thanks.now i know how to solve it. is it Δlambda/Δθ= d/m cosθ? and by using small angle approximation,cos theta = 1.so Δθ= Δlambda*m/d? i forgot to put extra info:d=(1/600)mm

I think you need to be a little more careful because the problem asks you to find the separation to second order, not just first order.

I would say that your approach is on the right track. However, there are a few things to consider when finding the angular separation between two wavelengths.

Firstly, it is important to note that angular separation is typically measured in radians, not degrees or arc minutes. So, we need to convert our values to radians before we can find the angular separation.

Secondly, the equation you have used, d sin(\theta)=m (\lambda), is correct for calculating the angular separation in terms of the grating spacing (d), the wavelength (\lambda), and the order of diffraction (m). However, this equation assumes that the diffraction pattern is being produced by a diffraction grating.

If we want to find the angular separation between two wavelengths in general, we can use the equation D=\delta\theta/\delta\lambda, as you have mentioned. However, this equation is typically used for finding the angular dispersion, which is the change in angle per unit change in wavelength. To find the actual angular separation, we need to integrate this equation over the range of wavelengths we are interested in.

So, to answer your question, yes, your approach is correct, but we need to make a few adjustments to account for the units and the type of diffraction pattern being produced. Additionally, it would be helpful to specify the range of wavelengths you are interested in, as this will affect the final result.

What is the definition of angular separation between two wavelengths?

The angular separation between two wavelengths is the measure of the angle between the two wavelengths when viewed from a specific point. It is usually measured in degrees or radians and is used to describe the difference in direction or position of two wavelengths.

How is the angular separation between two wavelengths calculated?

The angular separation between two wavelengths can be calculated using the formula θ = sin^-1 (λ/d), where θ is the angular separation, λ is the difference in wavelengths, and d is the distance between the two wavelengths.

What is the significance of angular separation between two wavelengths?

The angular separation between two wavelengths is important in various fields such as astronomy, optics, and physics. It is used to determine the resolution and resolving power of telescopes, as well as to study the properties of light and its interactions with matter.

How does the angular separation between two wavelengths affect the diffraction pattern?

The angular separation between two wavelengths directly affects the diffraction pattern. A smaller angular separation results in a wider and less intense diffraction pattern, while a larger angular separation results in a narrower and more intense diffraction pattern.

Can the angular separation between two wavelengths change over time?

Yes, the angular separation between two wavelengths can change over time due to various factors such as the movement of the source of the wavelengths or the observer, the effects of refraction, and the Doppler effect. However, for most practical purposes, the change is negligible and can be considered constant.