1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Animal Foraging Radius Equation Part 2

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I asked a similar question before relating to an animal's foraging radius. I think there was a typo but I'd like to show another example to see if I'm on the right track.

The parameter values are as follows:

Q= 5.2 × 106 J
    C = 1.5kg
    d= 0.055kg per hour
    k= 2.0 Joules/m
    Ema = 24 Watts
    Emc = 42 Watts
    T = 48 hours
    v= 45km per hour
    t= 12 hours

2. Relevant equations

r = [QC +Qdt - T(Ema+Emc/2)/(2k+ (2Qd/v))]

3. The attempt at a solution

(7800000 + 5.2*10^6*.055*12 - 172800 (45))/16.711111111111112

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A minor point is that it would be good practice to group the first two numerator terms as
    Q(C + DT). One less arithmetical operation to do and error risked. Similarly you could take out the factor 2 in the denominator

More important is you must pay constant attention to units. E.g.you do not give a unit for your result - metres or Km...

It seems there is something wrong about your physical units, maybe misquotation of formulae or units? The expression I just gave is JoulesXKg. The way you have written the equation they appear as such in the result which is nonsense - you must get a distance. The denominator has a similar anomaly and you would be adding things of incompatible dimensions - it is probably the second term that is wrong.

4. Dec 2, 2012 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

(I see I drew attention to the same units and dimensions issue in your previous thread.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook