How to calculate the foraging radius of a bird?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Manassa Mauler
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I would love someone to verify the answer for equation 8 in this paper (bottom of page 263) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2028.2002.00368.x/epdf

For the sake of clarity here is the equation is LaTeX which you can render at the following link
\frac{QC + Q\lambda \sigma - T(_{Ema + \frac{_{Emc}}{2}}))}{2k + \frac{2Qd}{V}}
https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

The inputs are:
Q = 5.2 * 10^6 Joules
C =1.5 kg
lambda = 0.055 kg per hour
sigma = 12 hours
T = 48 hours
Ema = 42 Watts
Emc =24 Watts
k=2 Joules per meter
V =45 km per hour
The answer should be 205 km

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{QC + Q\lambda \sigma - T(_{Ema + \frac{_{Emc}}{2}}))}{2k + \frac{2Qd}{V}}[/itex]
 
Well. it seems to me the parentheses are unbalanced in the numerator, is one "open" parenthesis missing somewhere? Or can we assume it is okay to drop the very last one?
 
I apologise but I was incorrect when I looked at it again. Here is the correct version
Q <- 5.2 * 10^6 Joules
C <- 1.5 kg
d <- 0.055 kg per hour
t <- 12 hours
Time <- 48 hours
Ema <- 24 Watts
Emc <- 42 Watts
k <- 2 joules per meter
V <- 45 km per hour
Thanks for looking at this Jim
CodeCogsEqn.png
 
Show your work, please. I get 1693. But what you posted may not be what you and I solved.
My calculation seems ridiculous to me. So I am guessing the formula has a problem - or I can't do arithmetic. Either is possible. Plus, I think there may be a problem with units.

PS: the paper you linked is behind a paywall for me. So I cannot verify anything including my work.
 
Last edited: