How to calculate the foraging radius of a bird?

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation from a paper that calculates the distance traveled by an object with given inputs. The equation has some errors and the correct version is provided. The conversation also questions the accuracy of the calculation and the possibility of errors in the units.
Manassa Mauler
I would love someone to verify the answer for equation 8 in this paper (bottom of page 263) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2028.2002.00368.x/epdf

For the sake of clarity here is the equation is LaTeX which you can render at the following link
\frac{QC + Q\lambda \sigma - T(_{Ema + \frac{_{Emc}}{2}}))}{2k + \frac{2Qd}{V}}
https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

The inputs are:
Q = 5.2 * 10^6 Joules
C =1.5 kg
lambda = 0.055 kg per hour
sigma = 12 hours
T = 48 hours
Ema = 42 Watts
Emc =24 Watts
k=2 Joules per meter
V =45 km per hour
The answer should be 205 km

Thanks!

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac{QC + Q\lambda \sigma - T(_{Ema + \frac{_{Emc}}{2}}))}{2k + \frac{2Qd}{V}}[/itex]

Well. it seems to me the parentheses are unbalanced in the numerator, is one "open" parenthesis missing somewhere? Or can we assume it is okay to drop the very last one?

I apologise but I was incorrect when I looked at it again. Here is the correct version
Q <- 5.2 * 10^6 Joules
C <- 1.5 kg
d <- 0.055 kg per hour
t <- 12 hours
Time <- 48 hours
Ema <- 24 Watts
Emc <- 42 Watts
k <- 2 joules per meter
V <- 45 km per hour
Thanks for looking at this Jim
CodeCogsEqn.png

Show your work, please. I get 1693. But what you posted may not be what you and I solved.
My calculation seems ridiculous to me. So I am guessing the formula has a problem - or I can't do arithmetic. Either is possible. Plus, I think there may be a problem with units.

PS: the paper you linked is behind a paywall for me. So I cannot verify anything including my work.

Last edited:

1. What factors affect a bird's foraging radius?

The foraging radius of a bird can be influenced by several factors, such as the bird's size, species, age, and food availability in its habitat. Other factors that may impact the foraging radius include weather conditions, competition with other birds, and the presence of predators.

2. How do you measure a bird's foraging radius?

The foraging radius of a bird can be measured by tracking its movements and recording the distance it travels from its nest or roost to forage for food. This can be done using GPS tracking devices or by visually following the bird's movements and estimating the distance traveled.

3. Is the foraging radius the same for all birds?

No, the foraging radius can vary greatly among different bird species. Some birds, such as raptors, have larger foraging ranges as they need to cover larger areas to find prey. Other birds, like hummingbirds, have smaller foraging ranges as they feed on nectar from flowers in their immediate surroundings.

4. How does the foraging radius change throughout the year?

The foraging radius of a bird can change throughout the year depending on the availability of food sources. During breeding season, birds may have a smaller foraging range as they need to stay close to their nests to care for their young. In winter, when food is scarce, birds may have a larger foraging range as they search for food in different areas.

5. Can the foraging radius of a bird be affected by human activities?

Yes, human activities such as habitat destruction, pollution, and climate change can impact the foraging radius of birds. These factors can alter the availability of food sources and disrupt the natural foraging patterns of birds, potentially leading to a decrease in their foraging range and overall population size.