Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the foraging radius of a bird?

1. Feb 1, 2016 #1
    I would love someone to verify the answer for equation 8 in this paper (bottom of page 263) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2028.2002.00368.x/epdf

For the sake of clarity here is the equation is LaTeX which you can render at the following link
    \frac{QC + Q\lambda \sigma - T(_{Ema + \frac{_{Emc}}{2}}))}{2k + \frac{2Qd}{V}}
    https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

The inputs are:
    Q = 5.2 * 10^6 Joules
    C =1.5 kg
    lambda = 0.055 kg per hour
    sigma = 12 hours
    T = 48 hours
    Ema = 42 Watts
    Emc =24 Watts
    k=2 Joules per meter
    V =45 km per hour
    The answer should be 205 km

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2016 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

[itex]\frac{QC + Q\lambda \sigma - T(_{Ema + \frac{_{Emc}}{2}}))}{2k + \frac{2Qd}{V}}[/itex]

4. Feb 5, 2016 #3

jim mcnamara

Well. it seems to me the parentheses are unbalanced in the numerator, is one "open" parenthesis missing somewhere? Or can we assume it is okay to drop the very last one?

5. Feb 5, 2016 #4
    I apologise but I was incorrect when I looked at it again. Here is the correct version
    Q <- 5.2 * 10^6 Joules
    C <- 1.5 kg
    d <- 0.055 kg per hour
    t <- 12 hours
    Time <- 48 hours
    Ema <- 24 Watts
    Emc <- 42 Watts
    k <- 2 joules per meter
    V <- 45 km per hour
    Thanks for looking at this Jim

CodeCogsEqn.png

6. Feb 5, 2016 #5

jim mcnamara

Show your work, please. I get 1693. But what you posted may not be what you and I solved.
    My calculation seems ridiculous to me. So I am guessing the formula has a problem - or I can't do arithmetic. Either is possible. Plus, I think there may be a problem with units.

PS: the paper you linked is behind a paywall for me. So I cannot verify anything including my work.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook