Solving an equation which should give an animal's foraging radius

• Thread starter killbot2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary, the problem was to determine the distance an animal can travel given the following values: e = 7.8*10^6 Joules, V = 12m/s, k = 2.0 Joules/m, Ema = 42 Watts, Emc = 42 Watts. The formula used was r = eV/12(Ema + 0.5Emc) + 2kV, and the answer should be 116km. However, the value Ema in the formula was incorrect and should have been 42 instead of 24. After correcting this mistake, the correct answer was found to be 116km.
killbot2000
Hi all, I have the following problem which should show me the distance an animal can travel

Homework Statement

e = 7.8*10^6 Joules
V= 12m/s
k= 2.0 Joules/m
Ema = 24 Watts
Emc = 42 Watts

The answer should be 116km

Homework Equations

r = eV/12(Ema + 0.5Emc) + 2kV

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm coming out with 159183.6735 which is certainly wrong.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I think simply distance = energy / (energy/m) then you will get 3.9 10^6 m. The key is wrong I think...

This is given in an academic journal so I'm not sure where I've gone wrong, I've taken the values as they are presented.

killbot2000 said:
Hi all, I have the following problem which should show me the distance an animal can travel

Homework Statement

e = 7.8*10^6 Joules
V= 12m/s
k= 2.0 Joules/m
Ema = 24 Watts
Emc = 42 Watts

The answer should be 116km

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm coming out with 159183.6735 which is certainly wrong.

Thanks

Firstly you have certainly written the formula wrong and it is most likely

r = eV/[12(Ema + 0.5Emc) + 2kV]

(which tells you something about how to do the arithmetic operations).

This makes sense in terms of dimensions which without the square brackets it doesn't. (There are other possibilities so use the formula in the journal, not mine if different!)

Hi, the way I've written is the way it's given in the journal. Perhaps a typo on their part?

killbot2000 said:
Hi, the way I've written is the way it's given in the journal. Perhaps a typo on their part?

It does happen. Perhaps you could reproduce it directly from the journal here? Or link if this is free journal access.

But anyway your kV is (joules/m).(m/s) = joules/s = watts , the same unit as the other things I have grouped it with. It can't stand there on its own being equated to something expressed in meters on the other side of the equation.

Unfortunately I can't link directly because it's a hard copy. Perhaps I can give you another example where I seem to have worked out the answer correctly.

r = [e - T(Ema+Emc/2)]/2k

e = 7.8*10^6 Joules
k= 2.0 Joules/m
Ema = 24 Watts
Emc = 42 Watts
T = 48 hours

[ 7.8*10^6 - 172800 (24 + 42/2)]/4

The answer should be 6km and I got from the above
= 6000 m

The answers seem to be available.
What did my proposed version give?
Other possible likely version it could just have been

r = eV/12[(Ema + 0.5Emc) + 2kV]

Hi,

My approach was as follows 7.8 x 10^6 x 12/[12(24+42) + 2 x 2 x 12]

That gives 111428.571429

Hi all,

I think I solved the problem for those interested. It seems to have been a typo on the part of the author. Of the original values Ema should read 42 not 24.

What is an equation for an animal's foraging radius?

The equation for an animal's foraging radius is typically represented as r = √(A/π), where r is the foraging radius in meters, A is the area of foraging habitat in square meters, and π is the mathematical constant pi.

How do you solve for an animal's foraging radius using the equation?

To solve for an animal's foraging radius, you need to know the area of the foraging habitat and the value of pi. You can then plug these values into the equation r = √(A/π) and solve for r using basic algebra.

What factors can affect an animal's foraging radius?

An animal's foraging radius can be affected by a variety of factors such as the availability of food, competition with other animals, environmental conditions, and the animal's physical abilities and behavior.

Can the equation for an animal's foraging radius be used for all types of animals?

The equation r = √(A/π) can be used for most animals, but it may not be applicable to all species. For example, animals with unique foraging behaviors or specialized habitats may require different equations to calculate their foraging radius.

Are there any limitations to using the equation for an animal's foraging radius?

While the equation r = √(A/π) can provide a general estimation of an animal's foraging radius, it may not account for other factors such as the animal's energy expenditure or individual variability. Additionally, the accuracy of the equation may vary depending on the quality and availability of data used to calculate A and the value of pi.