zoobyshoe said:
I very much like to walk. I happen to live in a neighborhood where just about every house is "protected" by some near-rabid canine who thinks no one should be walking past the front of their territory. [...]
I was once minding my own business strolling along the sidewalk, and didn't realize there were 2 dogs hiding in wait for me behind a picket fence just ahead. As soon as I got in front of that fence they both let off a sudden blast of howls -- less than 1m from me. Almost had a heart attack and it made me
so angry.
Fortunately, it was a street I don't often go to but I decided that if the dogs did that to me again next time, I'd take drastic retaliation. Fortunately, the next time (several months later) they were gone.
These days, if I'm going someplace where dogs are likely, I take a little ultrasonic device in my pocket. If a dog runs towards me, I look it straight in the eye (a threat, in dog language) and as it gets close I press the button in my pocket without it being obvious. Scares the dog sh*tless! So gratifying, though it makes any humans around me think I must be the antichrist.
I ended up mounting an ultrasonic device on the side of my wall (facing the neighbours), and modified the internal circuitry so I could turn it on and off by RF remote control from anywhere in my house. After that, if the dog starting barking while I was in bed, it was easy to give it a blast remotely. (I believe such remote control devices are not available commercially.)
Works even better when the dog runs toward me barking its head off in challenge. They just turn tail and run.
If someone doesn't train the dog to know the difference between when it's useful to bark and when it isn't, [...]
Yes, and most dog owners (istm) have no clue what a pest the dog becomes when they leave it alone in the backyard all day while they're at work/school/whatever. The dog owners around me are absolutely incompetent at dog training. They actually try to talk to the dog in human-like language, instead of a small set of 1-word commands, heavily reinforced.