Animated Display of Quantitative Information

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I'm sure that many PF members are fans of the seminal book
The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Edward R. Tufte

But books on dead trees can only show static information. How about quanitative information depicted with the help of audio and/or video? I would like to nominate this video by Timo Bingmann, as my favorite. I invite PF members to post links to their own nominees.

By the way, I want to open this to any type of quantitative information, not just scientific, and not just computer generated. Therefore, GD is our only forum broad enough for that.

Rules:
  1. Credit the source.
  2. Quantitative information, animated by video and/or audio.

Likes Asymptotic, BillTre and berkeman

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm sure that many PF members are fans of the seminal book
The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Edward R. Tufte
Yep. A place of honour on my bookshelf.

Very cool video.

Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I no longer have the hardware to do it and this dates to circa 1975-76. Back then there were memory-mapped video displays for the S-100 machines (2MHz, 8080 CPU). We would set the Stack to the display memory as a last-resort to debug/trace a program. The other way was to insert Jump-to-self instructions in the code and then single-step from the front panel switches, not a very interesting video.

Occasionally we would put an AM radio tuned between stations next to the computer to collect clues. There was enough EMI emitted that you could even write programs to play a tune on the radio, "This Old Man" was a popular one. (well, I still have the hardware for that one, but not the incentive. :oldbiggrin:)

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2022 Award
Great idea for a thread.

I liked the music.
It was nicely coordinated with the visuals. Driven by visual (or computational) events?

This NY Times article (How Two Big Earthquakes Triggered 16,000 More in Southern California; By Derek Watkins, July 19, 2019) have a nice bunch of videos showing the location/size of earthquakes, during and after, the recent two big ones.
The earthquakes are shown on a map of the affected area, and there is a larger scale version for the whole state (but without showing the size-to-strength relationship).

If I knew how to copy the moving image (gif's?), I would try to post them.
All I could get is a screenshot, which doesn't show how this pattern develops over time.
Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 11.59.44 PM.png

I'm going to post about this in the Earth Sciences section for geological type discussions.

Suggested for: Animated Display of Quantitative Information

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post