1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Annihilation and production of bosons

1. Apr 21, 2017 #1
    I am confused about the production of bosons in annihilation processes.

If we have a positron and an electron coming together and annihilating, we can always find a frame in which the net momentum is zero, which would suggest that a single photon can never be produced in such an interaction (but a massive boson such as a Z could be).

However, in a question asked by my prof. in lectures the other week, she said that future electron/positron colliders may operate at energies sufficient to produce top-antitop pairs. How would this occur? And also, how would Feynman diagram for this process look?

I had imagined that the initial annihilation would simply produce a boson which would then decay into the top/antitop pair, however thinking about it, I feel as though the boson should be massive, and therefore not be a photon. Is this correct, or does the fact that the photon is virtual allow it to occur?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Exactly. The (main) process would happen via a virtual photon/Z boson.
    As they are virtual, you cannot even say "this was produced via a photon" or "via a Z boson" - their amplitudes add, you cannot distinguish between the processes. The Higgs leads to a much smaller contribution as well, and there are loop processes contributing a little bit.

4. Apr 21, 2017 #3
    Ah I see - that's great! Thanks for clearing that up :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted