Announcement on Mars forthcoming.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
turbo
Gold Member
Didn't know where to put this, so GD for now. The Phoenix project team appear to be preparing to announce something more exciting than the mere presence of water on Mars.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/WH08018.xml&headline=White%20House%20Briefed%20On%20Potential%20For%20Mars%20Life&channel=space [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Do you think they called the vatican a few weeks ago to warn them ? :rolleyes:

I'm hoping for some organic matter.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm hoping for some organic matter.
I'm hoping for footsteps :biggrin: !

Evo
Mentor
Ah the test involved stirring water from earth with Martian soil. It wil be interesting.

I'm hoping for footsteps :biggrin: !
I'm hoping for a Starbucks.

Jordan Joab

Oil.

Now, lift the off-world drilling ban!

Serious note: probably live bacteria. Nothing to see really.

I like the one 'comment' on that second link---
Gerald Butler: Mars. Desert Planet. Maybe they found “Spice”!

(maybe they found MTBE)

Last edited:

They probably found something that would increase the potential for life even more.

http://c.imagehost.org/0241/foundhim.jpg [Broken]

I'm having too much fun.

http://c.imagehost.org/0241/foundhim.jpg [Broken]

I'm having too much fun.
Is that Jimmy Hoffa?

Is that Jimmy Hoffa?
lol!

Actually, it's...
Where's Waldo

Jordan Joab

Hmm..Osama bin Laden, perhaps?
No no, the WMDs man, the WMDs!

LowlyPion
Homework Helper

The rumour mill is jumping on the latest evidence from Mars. They seem to think, whatever it is, it's more important than water.
First of all there is likely nothing more important to life as we understand it than water.

Secondly, what a shocker it would be to find that Mars has a similar element distribution in the soil samples? Let's see. It aggregated into its current form most likely in its next out from the earth slot from the sun. Would there be a reason to suppose that it would be dramatically different is all I can wonder?

But the current Martian extremes of temperature and lack of atmosphere would surely be extinction events here on earth even if all other things were equal.

So what that there are several dimensions that are within range of satisfactory for life with so many additional hostile conditions not met nor likely to ever be met?

Bush had to be briefed first ?? This means we may never know what was found.

Why did NASA have to tell an unintelligent life form that we have discovered another unintelligent life form.??

Why did NASA have to tell an unintelligent life form that we have discovered another unintelligent life form.??
"Heard about the recent news reports implying I may have found Martian life. Those reports are incorrect," she Tweeted. "Reports claiming there was a White House briefing are also untrue and incorrect."

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/08/rumors-abound-a.html

wolram
Gold Member
Hey may be they found my boots

Maybe they told him about a long lost relative?

DaveC426913
Gold Member

First of all there is likely nothing more important to life as we understand it than water.
Sorry, I was misunderstood.

I was not saying there was "something more important than water to life", I simply inimtated that the discovery seems to be bigger news. While not official yet, I think we are nearing certainty that we will find conclusive evidence of water on Mars any day now. Certain enough that when it won't be Mars-shattering news...

I get the impression that this upcoming news may be even bigger - some are wildly suggesting maybe even evidence for organic molecules.

Evo
Mentor

I get the impression that this upcoming news may be even bigger - some are wildly suggesting maybe even evidence for organic molecules.
Well, the article does say that they mixed earth water with the Mars soil.