Another conditional probability problem

In summary: (1) (2)
kenny1999

Homework Statement

I've spent a few hours but unable to work out the solution of the following questions successfully.

The question is as follows:
2c43ac306dac.jpg

I am having problems with (a)(iii) and (b)(ii)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)(iii) Although I can work out the solution at last, my original attempt was incorrect but I don't understand why.

My first attempt:
P(pass) = P(4 answer correct) + P(5 answer correct) + P(all answer correct)
= (3x3x1x1x1x1)/(6x6x6x6x6x6) + (3x1x1x1x1x1)/(6x6x6x6x6x6) + (1x1x1x1x1x1)/(6x6x6x6x6x6)

However, this is wrong. But I don't understand why...

(b)(iii) I can't work out the solution at all. Please help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
kenny1999 said:

Homework Statement

I've spent a few hours but unable to work out the solution of the following questions successfully.

The question is as follows:
2c43ac306dac.jpg

I am having problems with (a)(iii) and (b)(ii)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)(iii) Although I can work out the solution at last, my original attempt was incorrect but I don't understand why.

My first attempt:
P(pass) = P(4 answer correct) + P(5 answer correct) + P(all answer correct)
= (3x3x1x1x1x1)/(6x6x6x6x6x6) + (3x1x1x1x1x1)/(6x6x6x6x6x6) + (1x1x1x1x1x1)/(6x6x6x6x6x6)

However, this is wrong. But I don't understand why...

(b)(iii) I can't work out the solution at all. Please help. Thank you.

Your "solution" for (a)(iii) neglect the fact that ANY 4 or more questions will suffice. Your expression 3^2 * 1^4/ 6^6 (for 4 correct answers) makes several errors. First, it assumes that questions 1 and 2 are answered incorrectly, while questions 3-6 are correct; but what we need is the probability that any \42 of the 6 questions is correctly answered. Secondly, it assumes that the probability of answering a question correctly is 1/6 and of answering incorrectly is 3/6---and that makes no sense at all. So, before showing us your incorrect attempt at (iii), you should first show us your attempts at (i) and (ii), so we can see if you are on the right track.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Your "solution" for (a)(iii) neglect the fact that ANY 4 or more questions will suffice. Your expression 3^2 * 1^4/ 6^6 (for 4 correct answers) makes several errors. First, it assumes that questions 1 and 2 are answered incorrectly, while questions 3-6 are correct; but what we need is the probability that any \42 of the 6 questions is correctly answered. Secondly, it assumes that the probability of answering a question correctly is 1/6 and of answering incorrectly is 3/6---and that makes no sense at all. So, before showing us your incorrect attempt at (iii), you should first show us your attempts at (i) and (ii), so we can see if you are on the right track.

RGV

OK, here a complete work by me shown below. Thanks for your time reading.

OK, I reformat my answer.

(a) (i) P(gets 0 marks) = (3/4)(3/4)(3/4)(3/4)(3/4)(3/4)

(ii) P(all correct) = (1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(1/4)

(iii) P(pass the test) = P(4 answered correctly) + P(5 answered correctly) + P(6 answered correctly)

P(4 answered correctly) = (1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(3/4)(3/4)x 6C4 ... (1)

P(5 answered correctly) = (1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(3/4)x 6C5 ... (2)

P(6 answered correctly) = (1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(1/4)(1/4) ... (3)

P(pass the test) = (1)+(2)+(3)
=...

Am I correct now??

(b) (i) Let P: event that a student pass
S: event that a student has studied / prepared

P(P) = P(P and S) + P(P and S')
= P(P|S)P(S) + P(P|S')P(S')
= (1)(3/4) + (ans of (a)(iii) ) x (1/4)
=...

After P(P) is evaluted, then

P(both students pass) = P(P) x P(P)
= ...

is it right??

However, there are 40 students, and two students are selected. Will the probability of pass increase or decrease when the first student is selected? Do we have to think like drawing two red balls from a set of 40 balls (for example) without replacement? The probability of drawing first red balls must be different from probability of drawing the second red balls... I am quite confused.

(b)(ii) P(S|P) = P(S and P) / P(P)
= P(P|S)P(S) / P(P)
= (1)(3/4) / P(P)
=... (1)

P(S'|P) = 1 - P(S|P)
= ... (2)

so the required probability

P(at least one of the student doesn't prepare given both pass)

= P(both don't prepare given both pass) + P(1st student prepare, 2nd student no prepare) + P(1st student no prepare, 2nd prepare)

= (ans 2) x (ans 2) + (ans 1) x (ans 2) + (ans 2) x (ans 1)

Am I right? The answer is not important to me because I am not a student. But I really need to understand the concept quick

Ray Vickson said:

RGV

f6f3b0a9a4d0.jpg

kenny1999 said:

f6f3b0a9a4d0.jpg

This is looking a lot better; your solution to (a) looks OK, and part of your solution to (b) is good, but you don't seem to finish (b).

Let E = {both pass}, and in your group of two students, let
S0 = {0 students study}, S1 = {1 student studies}, S2 = {2 students study}.
You want P(S0 or S1|E). This is
[tex] P(S_0 \cup S_1 | E ) = \frac{ P((S_0 \cup S_1)\cap E )}{P(E)}
= \frac{ P(S_0 \cap E ) + P(S_1 \cap E)}{P(E)},[/tex]
because the events S0 and S1 are disjoint. Note that
[tex] P(E) = P(E|S_0 ) P(S_0) + P(E|S_1) P(S_1) + P(E|S_2) P(S_2),[/tex]
and if [itex]p_a[/itex] is the probability you computed in (a), then
[tex] P(E|S_0) = p_a^2, \; P(E|S_1) = 1 \cdot p_a, \; P(E|S_2) = 1, [/tex]
as you said. Since you know [itex] P(S_0), \, P(S_1) \text{ and } P(S_2), [/itex] you can just put it all together to answer (b).

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
This is looking a lot better; your solution to (a) looks OK, and part of your solution to (b) is good, but you don't seem to finish (b).

Let E = {both pass}, and in your group of two students, let
S0 = {0 students study}, S1 = {1 student studies}, S2 = {2 students study}.
You want P(S0 or S1|E). This is
[tex] P(S_0 \cup S_1 | E ) = \frac{ P((S_0 \cup S_1)\cap E )}{P(E)}
= \frac{ P(S_0 \cap E ) + P(S_1 \cap E)}{P(E)},[/tex]
because the events S0 and S1 are disjoint. Note that
[tex] P(E) = P(E|S_0 ) P(S_0) + P(E|S_1) P(S_1) + P(E|S_2) P(S_2),[/tex]
and if [itex]p_a[/itex] is the probability you computed in (a), then
[tex] P(E|S_0) = p_a^2, \; P(E|S_1) = 1 \cdot p_a, \; P(E|S_2) = 1, [/tex]
as you said. Since you know [itex] P(S_0), \, P(S_1) \text{ and } P(S_2), [/itex] you can just put it all together to answer (b).

RGV

Sorry any alternative method? I don't quite understand after reading carefuly

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated by dividing the probability of both events happening by the probability of the first event happening.

2. How do you solve a conditional probability problem?

To solve a conditional probability problem, you first need to identify the two events and their respective probabilities. Then, you can use the formula P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B) to calculate the conditional probability.

3. What is the difference between conditional and unconditional probability?

Unconditional probability, also known as marginal probability, is the probability of an event occurring without any additional information. Conditional probability takes into account additional information (i.e. another event) and calculates the probability of an event occurring given that the additional information is known.

4. Can you give an example of a conditional probability problem?

One example of a conditional probability problem is rolling a fair six-sided die twice. The first event is rolling a 3, and the second event is rolling an even number. The conditional probability would be P(rolling an even number|rolling a 3) = 2/6 = 1/3. This means that if we know a 3 was rolled on the first roll, the probability of rolling an even number on the second roll is 1/3.

5. How is conditional probability used in real life?

Conditional probability is used in various fields, such as statistics, economics, and finance. In real life, it can be used to predict the likelihood of a certain event occurring based on another event. For example, insurance companies use conditional probability to calculate the likelihood of a person making a claim based on their age, gender, and other factors.